Where do you buy wood for shelves??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky12883

I live in Eau Claire, WI the Menard's capital of the world. Basically all that means is there are no other big box hardware stores within an hour and a half drive, and that with the lack of competition there is no customer service at the Menards' here.
I will be traveling across the state in a couple weeks and I'm wondering where you find your wood for shelves. Which stores cut to length?
Anyone in the Eau Claire area know of anywhere besides Menard's to get KD pine boards?
Any help is appreciated, by me and my boys that are patiently waiting for new shelves :impatient:

I have found lumber yards to be useful when not wanting to go to home depot or lowes...I just googled for you maybe call these lumber yards I agree its a nice value to buy a 10 piece of wood and have tons of shelves the hardware to make them is cheap too

Heartland Hardwoods
800 Wisconsin St # 76, Eau Claire, WI 54703
(715) 834-9992 | Website | More Info
MapDirectionsSearch NearbySave

Menards
3210 N Clairemont Ave, Eau Claire, WI 54703
(715) 830-8600 | Website | More Info

Lyman Lumber Co
1700 Western Ave, Eau Claire, WI 54703
(715) 835-5119 | Website | More Info

Menards Inc
4777 Menard Dr, Eau Claire, WI 54703
(715) 876-5911 | Website | More Info

The 2 Menard's stores don't have KD pine, that I could find. Lymans is for professional contractors and has a showroom not store. I'll look into Heartland.
I wouldn't mind going to Home Depot or Lowe's, there just aren't any close by. I'll be able to stop at either one while we are vacation in 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if either cut to length.

All standard pine at menard's is kiln dried. If it makes you feel better just ask the manager at the front of building materials and he/she will confirm it. I used to work at menards in high school and buy all wood for my chin shelving there. The boards are very reasonably priced.

you could always go to a Home Depot or Lowe's.
if you can't find any kiln dried pine.
you could use poplar. it's a tad more expensive.
but works great (it's what i use)

I have poplar shelves. They last longer because they are a harder wood than pine, BUT they are also harder to cut and to drill. :p

Lowe's will cut to whatever length you want. Some stores charge $.25 per cut, some don't charge at all. I buy my KD pine from Lowe's, in the section that says "Kitchen shelving". I just get the "shelves" (which are just boards) in the width that I want (usually 12") and make the employees cut them to the proper length for me, and then all I have to do at home is attach the hangar bolts.

We found what we needed at Home Depot the last time we went to visit my mom. The wood itself was half the price what Menards charges, and Home Depot cut it to size for us for free.

I usually got to Home Depot. Pretty sure they'll cut it, but I actually decided to invest in a few power tools instead. I figured, with a long life span and three chins, it was worth it to be able to make my own ledges.

Back