When the previous owners want their chinchilla back

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableFuzziezandCrawliez

Chinchilla Obsession!
A lady had sent me an email today asking about the chinchilla she had surrendered a long time ago. The chinchilla is still here and still up for adoption and she had mentioned that she really missed her. She never said that she wanted her back - but it got me thinking what if a situation came up where someone who had surrendered their chinchilla did wanted them back.

I have it written in my surrender contract that if they ever did want their chinchilla back, the adoption fees still apply. I have never had this situation come up. Has anyone??

I would be very hesitant to allow someone who had surrendered a chinchilla to adopt it back. Since they had to get rid of it in the first place, why now did they decide they wanted it back?

We all know there are so many circumstances where someone would surrender their chinchilla - so under what circumstances would you let them have their chinchilla back?

I think the only time I could allow that to happen is if the original reason for giving up the chin in the first place was a housing issue that was now corrected. And yes, I would charge the same adoption fee to the original owner as I would anybody else. Those fees cover the animal's care while in your rescue. And I venture to say it doesn't come near covering it in full.

A lady had sent me an email today asking about the chinchilla she had surrendered a long time ago. The chinchilla is still here and still up for adoption and she had mentioned that she really missed her.
I'm sure she does miss her, but that's not a good reason for getting the chin back. Chinny doesn't miss her, and that's what's important.
Obviously this Lady can't make very good decisions, first she thinks she wants a chin and got one. Then she thinks she doesn't want a chin and surrendered her. Now she thinks she wants a chin.

Last edited:
I agree with Amanda. I don't think I would give the chin back unless it was for a reason like housing change or serious illness that is now better. Because if they got rid of it once, who's to say that they won't again? I just don't think that's healthy for the animal.
And yes, I would also charge the same fee, they wouldn't get it back for free.

I could see a situation where someone had to give up the animal because of money. With so many people out of work right now, many people are having to make excruciating decisions about how to spend what little money they have. When it comes down to it, people will choose to feed theri kids before their pets. If I had someone bring a chin to me because of that situation, I would be inclined to allow them to re-adopt the animal once they had gotten back on their feet and were again financially able to care the chin properly. And, yes, I would also ask for an adoption fee to compensate for the care given to their animal during their absence.

I think that the circumstances would be considered. I can't say that I would listen to every sob story but I am human and am not perfect either. If they are having a housing, divorce, other issue I may consider it. I do have to say that I would still charge an adoption fee and make them go throught the adoption process. You are not providing free room and board.

If they wouldn't want to go through the adoption process than I would have them pay their $10.00 weekly boarding fee before getting the chinchilla back-- You can be assured that they would be serious about taking the chinchilla back either way--

This situation was hypothetical. The lady never said to me that she wanted the chinchilla back. She was just checking in to see if she had found a home yet.

Im asking what people would do if someone were to say to them they want their surrendered chinchilla back. OR what people have done when in that situation.

QUOTE: I'm sure she does miss her, but that's not a good reason for getting the chin back. Chinny doesn't miss her, and that's what's important.
Obviously this Lady can't make very good decisions, first she thinks she wants a chin and got one. Then she thinks she doesn't want a chin and surrendered her. Now she thinks she wants a chin.

I would definitely let someone have their chinchilla back if they paid me one million dollars. If they don't have the one million dollars then they wouldn't get their chin back.

I would definitely let someone have their chinchilla back if they paid me one million dollars. If they don't have the one million dollars then they wouldn't get their chin back.

Yep, I agree. I would not let them adopt it back, and I would not even if they paid me. If you ever get rid of any animal, unless there are extreme valid reasons, I don't think you should be allowed a chinchilla. Maybe a fish. :hair:

I dont know her situation, but I think she must care about pets if she called just to check on the chin. And she didnt say she wanted him back was just checking.

But like everyone else, I think each situation is different and as a rescuer you should be able to make what ever decision your "gut" is telling you with that particular person.

LOL I like it! That should be an official policy for all animal rescues everywhere :)

I dont know her situation, but I think she must care about pets if she called just to check on the chin. And she didnt say she wanted him back was just checking.
But like everyone else, I think each situation is different and as a rescuer you should be able to make what ever decision your "gut" is telling you with that particular person.

It is totally a "go with your gut instinct" scenario. It can be a tough call sometimes though, I'm sure. Sometimes the toughest part of the rescue job is dealing with the people.

I must say i have to agree with everyone else. I can understand that at times things get crazy & unpredictable things happen, therefore, needing to give up a pet is sometimes a must. (And in good measure.) Sometimes people are able to get back on their feet & getting the animal back would be great, but sometimes its just asking for the animal to be returned again when the next fork in the road pops up.

If, like said, they gave up the animal due to housing issues, illness of themselves or close family, things like that, i would consider adopting it back. However, that all also depends on the manor in which the animal was surrendered to me & of course the condition it was in upon arrival.

Fee's would be expected just as any other person, no questions asked, you arent a free lodging or pet rental facility. Upon adoption back to them, i'd be SURE to make them sign a contract that states if the animal leaves their care(again), it be offered to be surrendered back to YOU.

I fostered out my two guinea pigs 3 or 4 years ago when I was sick with Lyme disease to the point of being unable to get out of bed. The woman who housed them took care of them for about two months before I was well enough to take care of them again. Pigs take a lot more work than chins, and cutting up their veggies daily made me so ill (couldn't be around food)

I sympathize with situations like that, but I don't think I would give an animal back to somebody who surrendered it. If the situation was dire enough that it had to be surrendered to a legit rescue, I don't think that it is fair to the animal to possibly be put back in the same position.

I wondered this too....I don't have a rescue, but I am adopting a chin from someone who is moving and can't take him to their new place. Then I was starting to think, what if they moveagain later and CAN have a chin and ask for him back?!? Maybe I just think too much! Sorry I didn't mean change the topic, I just had to vent my concern.

If they meet the "crieteria" like anyone else for adopting an animal from you. If they cared enough to surrender it to a rescue they must care for the animal. There are several easier options (for the human). I know of some one who actually took a pair to the park so they couuld go free, I went to look for them never seen them.

It was all depend on the condition of the chinchilla and the circumstances of them giving it up. I cannot say no for sure.

I'm a little up in the air on this one. I can most definitely see why you wouldn't want to adopt the animal to the owner that surrendered it. The fact that they had to surrender it in the first place completely warrants that decision. However if they really want a chinchilla they will probably get one with or without your help and it seems like it'd be better for them to adopt from a rescue versus a pet store. This is of course assuming that the animal didn't come from an abusive situation. Hopefully this just won't come up. Fun discussion though.

~B

Several years ago I had a chinchilla surrerendered. The owner was in the Military, and was being shipped out. Had no one to take care of his chinchilla for him, so gave him to me. I want to say this was about 4-5 years ago?

Last weekend, we had a festival going on by my house. My mom was sitting on the front porch, and he actually stopped by. Unfortantly, my mom didn't know Raisin was still here with me--so couldn't tell him much about Raisin. He did mention how much he misses him, how much Raisin was his buddy etc...He was given to me before I had contracts, so I no longer have his information...but if I can track him down, or if he tracks me down when I am at home and he is interested in wanting raisin back...I would more then gladly give him back to him....but for me, this was is a "special" situtation. He served our country, and the least I could do is let him have his pet back.

Latest posts

Back