When is a rescue not a rescue?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire D

Responsible & wise
We had this discussion one of the UK forums I belong to a while back. I'd be really interested in seeing whether there is a difference between our forum & this one ........

This is NOT aimed at anyone - it's a general discussion - we see "rescues" popping up all over the place here & then they disappear really quickly, often because the "rescuers" get in over their heads & can't cope. We also see some people who are simply "dealers" who hide behind the term "rescue" - it's an interesting debate/discussion.

So ............ when is a rescue not a rescue?

Personally I think that:
a rescue service is one in which knowledgeable individuals dedicate their time, resources, and emotions into rescuing (i.e. saving from harm or poor conditions), treating (with veterinary intervention/supervision/assistance), rehabilitating, re-homing, and providing a life-long home to any chinchilla which requires such help.
They also provide education and support to people on all aspects of chinchilla care, health, and husbandry.

The knowledge necessary to run a rescue is often gained through breeders (i.e they have seen kits born, problem pregnancies, chin fights, bites, traumatic injuries, birth defects etc etc) but it is also gained through forums, one-to-one support from other chin owners/rescues and through personal experiences (some of which are unpleasant and/or heartbreaking). No-one has experienced the whole gamut of issues which can be encountered through keeping/breeding/rescuing chins and the value of forums and networking with others cannot be underestimated (imho).

For me, it is about the selfless dedication of the person(s) running the rescue – I doubt that anyone who has taken in sick or neglected chins has not, at some point or other, considered giving up because of the heartache involved in seeing chins deteriorate and die, despite intensive “nursing” care. What separates the “true” rescue from the “fly-by-night” is that the “proper” rescues don’t give up (unless they have some catastrophic event which means they cannot keep chins any more), they do not start off with 1 chin and then have 25 before the week is out and then claim to be a rescue, they spend time in researching chin care, and they continue despite the fact they are giving up their lives for the chins – the chins come first. They are not after money (breeding rescues or re-homing for high fees), attention, or glory – it’s all about the chins.

For me, there is a clear distinction between a rescue & a re-homing service. - a rescue is as I described above and they take all and sundry in terms of health, background, and current medical state - a re-homing centre is just that: they take healthy chins and re-home them, often for a fee. Sometimes those set-ups border on being dealers.

We have seen many "new" rescues set up over the years - newcomers to chins who have no idea about chinchillas and their care, let alone have the knowledge and skills to take on ill or injured or disabled chinchillas. They get out of their depth and cry for help, often when it is too late or they ignore basic advice and help - the chins suffer and die.
One such example of this in the UK was a young man who did not listen, thought he could make his "name" and decent money through setting up a rescue, took on a load of chins in a very short space of time, advertised as a rescue, and did not keep the chins in good conditions. He very quickly became out of his depth but he still did not listen. Many of the chins died needlessly through neglect and incompetence. The rest were taken away from him by an established rescue. It's not fair on the chins and it's not fair on the good, true rescues who have to pick up the pieces. It's not about egos, it's all about the chins and whether they will come to harm by being taken into "rescues" run by incompetent or neglectful people or, even worse, those who really don't give a carrot about the animals but want to make money and a name for themselves.

The flip side of that are the people who take on rescue work for the right reasons and ask for advice, support, and help when they need it - they listen, learn, research, get alongside a "mentor" (or several) of experienced chinchilla owners/breeders/rescuers and make things better for the chins in their care. Those kind of people know their limitations and don't jump on the bandwagon of egos eager to make money or a name for themselves. Rescues set up in the right way are a pleasure to support and I am more than happy to continue doing so - I support rescues in the UK and the US (US has to be through monetary and advice/support etc since I cannot support them physically). Everyone makes mistakes, everyone gets out of their depth at times, everyone needs help, support and advice - I would never not give it because the chins suffer in that case but referring people to rescues is a whole different ball game.

Is the situation different in the US/Canada or do you see the same kind of things happening?
Do you have rescues, re-homing centres & dealers?
Do you view them differently?

Great post, Claire. You make some good distinctions between the way some rescues operate and how they would be classified.

I am using my phone right now so am not going to write anything too elaborate but these are a few things I've noticed with some "rescues", most of which I suppose I would classify as dealers.

*Some search the classified ads and pay rehoming fees to "rescue" chins who are in homes that are just not well-educated in chins. The chins are not neglected or treated poorly but may be getting treat-filled food or have plastic shelves and accessories in the cage. Then they rehome the chins for a large rehoming fee to "cover the costs." I have seen this often with newer chin owners/rescues trying to establish themselves

*Some have taken in ill chins without the resources or knowledge to care for or treat their ailments. I also find it extremely irritating when rescues do not quarantine their chins or treat them for their illnesses and rehome them within days of taking them in. This to me is very irresponsible.

*Those who take in rescues but choose to breed them because they look nice/are pretty colors or "accidently" breed them so they are not reprimanded.

*Those who are hoarders and "rescue" large numbers of chins... and the chins end up getting poor care in the "rescue" which is now overwhelmed and does not have the resources to properly care for all of them

I think a place that does not provide proper care for the chins (including veterinary care when needed), is looking to profit off of the animals they are rehoming, uses rescue animals for breeding, and rehomes their rescues within a month of taking them in (no quarantine/evaluation period), is not looking out for the best interests of the chinchilla and in my eyes, is not a true rescue.

I think the situation is the same no matter where you are. If chinchillas or animals in general have been introduced into the pet market and therefore available to backyard breeders there is always a boom in animals that need rescued. A number of good rescues always pop up but an equal amount, if not more, bad or unethical rescues also pop up.

I feel a rescue's main goal should not be to place an animal as soon as possible. If a rescue is to start I feel they should have enough empty space for a large amount of whatever species they are rescuing in case of emergency situations where a large number of animals need fostered immediately.

Working in a vet office, we worked with a couple who rescued dogs and they went from being a great rescue to just wanting money for the dogs. In California there is a law, if you find an animal on the streets you must actively look for an owner for 14 days before being able to claim ownership of the animal. This means calling shelters and rescue groups to see if anyone is looking for that animal as well as posting signs where the animal was found. This rescue used to do that but then their adoption fee was raised to $270 per dog and the little dogs were flying into new homes extremely fast. We caught the couple in numerous lies and started refusing to treat dogs until they had actively looked for the owner. They started trying to claim legal ownership of dogs surrendered to our clinic, all in the name of fast money for dogs that were healthy with no effort from them.

I've seen a lot of rescues start off with good intentions and then either get greedy, in over their heads, or possessive of the animals. Too many times, what is best for the animal is lost in trying to make themselves look better, find homes fast, or bring in money.

My main thing is to breed and show chinchillas, but as a responsible breeder I also rescue. If a chinchilla is in need it is never turned away. All too often I get animals from people who adopted from a "rescue" and just didn't get much care information and couldn't handle a chin.

You actually see so-called rescues quite a bit in the reptile world. While my husband and I are known to have a softspot, we make sure we do not overwhelm ourselves. Many times, sadly, people don't realize their limits and bite off more than they can chew. Then again, RJ and I don't look to rehome animals (though we have a few), so we only take in as many as we can care for for the rest of their lives.

With many people, their hearts are in the right place, but they do not respect their limitations. Unfortunately these "rescues" then become places where animals are not cared for properly, and they die. There are also people who look to "flip" animals, which means buy them for a little bit of money, then jack up the price (like those people who try to sell "rare" mosaics for $300 when they got them for $50). You see that quite a bit on CL, where people get animals for free then charge a fee to "adopt" them out.

I agree with what Claire said, and I only want to add that a rescue is only functional and a legitimate rescue when it is able to realize its limits.

Hmmm, I know that i am not a "rescue" but I do consider my male chins at least to have been "rescued". Not so much because they were abused or in bad condition medically but 1) "Peepers" who was being kept outdoors by himself in a very dirty cage and with no attention and then the owner was moving to NY and "couldn't" take him with 2) "Casanova" and "D'Artagnan"- two little brothers who were part of a family of 6 chins. Owner adopted one, felt it needed a friend and the litters started coming. Apparently the originial male died and one of the babies. She had no idea how to sex them, did not seperate the males and females and ended have to get rid of them all because her daughter and husband were developing allergies. 3) was more the case of "she was my pet but i can't keep her" and yeah I thnk they were giving her craptacular food but that seems about it.

I consider them rescues because who knows where they would have ended up, maybe being cared for badly, maybe at an official rescue. I have a background in exotics but I admit my chinchilla knowledge was very basic. I started reading up in books after the first and found this forum close to after taking the 2 little boys in. They have had basic checkups by a vet. I keep learning new things all the time and I'm doing my best by them. Defintely had to deal with some behavior issues. Peepers was very very shy and has become comfortable with me and slightly more out going but he stresses easy if handled by unfamiliar people, if not expecting to be picked up by me, just sometimes with new situations in general. I go slow with him. The two boys were a whole other type of problem, very nippy to start with (were not handled much as kits), came to me at 4 months, I had to learn about young chin care and all the puberty problems. Casanova stopped nipping first and loves to come out. D'Artagnan took longer to trust, to stop biting, everything. He's pretty good now for the most part. Sadly I have just had to seperate them due to fighting, hopefully not for good but I'll be taking that one day at a time. My little girl, well she seems fine behaviorally but she is still in "quarantine".

I've thought about the whole rescue thing. I see so many chins that still need good homes. I'd like to in the future do more but for now this is what I can do. I don't have more room for cages and I have to consider what I can afford while in school. Plus I am still learning...the poor people in chat who get bombarded with my eternal questions and random humour (sorry everyone...lol). On the other hand at least people on here I can talk "chin" with, my family and friends have started to roll their eyes whenever I start with "So today the chins..." or " I saw something great to get the chins..." or even " Did you know?..." . They say I spoil them! But they are all mine for life, I even had the "In case something should happen to me" discussion. I worry.

Anyhow that's my two cents. I feel my chins are "rescues" although I am not A rescue. :grouphug:

I take in any and all chins that need me. I charge $45 for an adoption fee - that's mostly to keep people from coming for FREE animals. And, I give about that much in supplies and toys and things to get people started. It's a huge care package. :)

There's a lot of new rescues and they scare me a bit because they have no idea of what they are getting into. And, I have seen a few others that just immediately resell the chins for quite a bit of money. Adoption fees really need to be something that HELP pay for things. I honestly do not feel that anyone should expect to break even in rescue and only ask for what they can't afford. It's about $100 to see the vet with a problem...there's food, there's hay, electricity and everything else that has to be paid for. There's nothing wrong with an adoption fee.

Yes, there are some people that sell their free chins for a fortune. I suppose that they have to live with knowing that they did not work for that money and that they were taking money that they didn't deserve. If they can live with that and not feel like total scuz, then I guess it's okay? I could never do that! I'm scared to death that someone is going to think that I am doing anything with these animals besides putting them first in my life.

(There's only one person that I know speaks badly about me online that I know about. Anyone else, who knows me and will tell the truth, will tell you that I would never take advantage of anyone and prefer greatly that I be the one that is taken advantage of in any of my dealings! )

I think that as a rescue the chins need to be your whole life. There are no weekends, vacations or anything distracting you from doing what needs to be done. I don't like that people get into rescue and think that it's easy. You have to have a crazy need to work constantly!! :)

I consider myself to be a legitimate rescue, though if anyone feels otherwise, please let me know! This is a debate thread after all. :p

This is my policy for all rescues:

My limit is 8 rescue chins in my care at one time. I do this so that I do not feel overwhelmed, and I have enough time for each of the rescues. I will take in a few more if it's major extenuating circumstances, but that's unusual for this area. I also will never leave someone hanging. If I can't take in the chin, I will find them someone who can. I always wish I could do more, but it just isn't feasible for me if I want all the chins to be treated like my own. I work full time and live in a small home. I don't ever want to be one of those people who feel overwhelmed and then shut down, especially since I am the only chin rescue in this area.

While I do not take all my rescues in to the vet for a "wellness" visit, I do keep each and every chin for at least 30 days to determine their health, temperament, and overall personality. If they need to see a vet for any reason, I bring them. After the 30 days, or whenever I deem them able to be adopted out, I then try to find them the absolute best home I can, whether that means they remain with me forever, or they find their forever home with a new family. I will never just hand them to someone because I am "full" or because I don't want to deal with them anymore. Every single person who wants to adopt a chinchilla has to go through the same process. They contact me and from there they fill out an application and submit it. If everything looks good and their references work out, I then let them come over and meet the rescues. They do NOT get to take home a chinchilla that day. They get to see the proper way to house a chinchilla, the food they should be eating, that they always have hay, etc. They also get to have a supervised playtime with a chinchilla of their choice. If they then decide they want to adopt one, I do a home visit just to verify the information they gave me on their application is correct (no small children, other pets if they state there are none, etc). If everything pans out, they get to adopt the chinchilla. My adoption fee is $75, if the chin comes with a cage, $50 if not. They come with 3 lbs of feed, 3 lbs of dust, a hidey house, a hammock, 2 lbs of hay, a 30 page binder with information on their care, health issues, how to make shelves, etc., and a lb. of different woods to chew on. This adoption fee is for a chin that is top quality, or scruffy, mutation or standard, kit or adult. The adoption fee is also the same whether they have had to have vet care or not. I do not try to "make my money back" like some "rescues" do. I also make them sign a contract when they adopt a chin.

I know that was long winded, but I wanted to put out there what the actual process is. Most people aren't willing to go through this process, so the chins usually remain with me for quite some time. When a good home is found I am emotional every single time. I love these chins like they are my own, and try to do the best that I can for them.

Now on to the questions you asked.

Is the situation different in the US/Canada or do you see the same kind of things happening?

I definitely have seen the same things happening here. Unfortunately, I can think of several "rescues" in this state alone that fit the things you said.

Do you have rescues, re-homing centres & dealers? I would say we have all 3. I try to weed through all the hoopla to deal with only the legitimate rescues when trying to find a place for chins when I can't take them. I think there are all three everywhere all over the word. Sometimes it's harder than others to weed through them.

Do you view them differently? Most definitely. Like you said in the initial post, there is a huge difference.

I can't speak for all of Canada, but there is one perfectly run rescue I can think of in BC for chinchillas. They do everything and more for the chins they take in. They aren't shady or crooked like some places I know of. They are one hundred percent legitimate and they DO care for the animals and do their best to put them before themselves. I usually refer people to them when asked about rescues locally.

There is sadly some that are not (in my opinion) true rescues and try to portray themselves as such, and they do buy chins off craigslist or wherever, and then re-home them for higher fees or breed them, or whatnot. What bugs me, is they are supposed to be helping the animals, when indeed they are further stressing them out or causing more issues for them than help. And it seems to be all in the name of money and at the expense of the pets health and care. Just my opinion from what I have seen and heard.

I personally am a breeder first and foremost. However, I would always rescue or help re home my own baby chins I've sold, if they were in need. It's in my sales policy, that I request people give me an opportunity to find a chin a good home or take them back, if the situation arises where one cannot adequately care for them.
When I can, I try to help if there is a dire need of help for a chin(s) being rescued in the area. I don't do it often as far as fostering/rescuing other people's chins goes, but will if someone needs help or there is chins needing a foster home for a time. I've had the occasional chin over the years stay with me up to two years before finding that perfect home. I admit, I am a bit picky on who takes home a rescue chinchilla, hence why some end up staying so long.

I don't mind helping with transportation for any rescue anytime, if we happen to be going where a pet needs rescued/transported as well. I try my best to help when I can, as I feel as a breeder, I should be willing to do what I can/when I can for other chinchillas in need. At this time, I'm not accepting rescues that aren't of my own breeding, but am trying to be of help to those who do take them in. I have one box of supplies here that I'm planning to send out tomorrow for a rescue. It isn't much, just toys, but I know every little bit helps!

I definitely admire all you guys who operate a legitimate chinchilla rescue out there and am so relieved to know that you are working so hard to make the best life possible for these little creatures that are my favourite.

I recently took in two boys that had a hard life, not abused or anything but definitely shuffled around and somewhat neglected. I've had them almost four weeks now and honestly I don't think I have the gumption to let them go. I'm not sure I could sleep at night for worrying and wondering if they're being taken care of properly and loved or will they end up in a basement with a filthy cage or stuck out in the carport again. I don't think I have what it takes to run a rescue I'm afraid. :(

I think there's smaller legitimate rescues out there though that aren't registered and they still do a great job. Is getting a license that important or is it like operating a small daycare where if you only have a small amount kids and therefore are not required to be licensed?

The rescue I work and foster for is a 501(c)3, the goals we have are to take in abandoned, abused, owner surrendered chinchillas and provide temporary foster care. Our foster parents evaluate them for health and temperament in the 30+ days they spend there. They are vet checked since our adopters gave very positive feedback to that service. We also educate the public in education days at local pet stores who do not sell pets and assist humane societies and shelters in teaching to the public chinchilla care. A legit rescue needs to know their limits and fundraise constantly to raise money to give the chins the best care possible. All adopters have to go through chinchilla 101 which happens at the home of our president every other Sunday afternoon.

I think the question is how small can you be and still be 501(c)3? I understand that it does take time and there is paperwork etc. I personally will only donate to 501(c)3 places. It's not because of the reciept for the donation, but I think people use "rescue" to there advantage.

but I think people use "rescue" to there advantage.

Exactly. The word "rescue" to me is kind of holy. It is a lot of thankless, uncompensated, hard, sad, round-the-clock dirty work. It is truly selfless. For this, I greatly respect any organization with that title. Conversely, I get upset when people use the word when they basically are just middle-manning animals (not just chins!) from one home to another from time to time, and making a nice little profit under the table - in the name of "rescue."

I'm not saying there aren't lots of people out there doing homeless animals a great service. But "Rescue" status?? Show me the creds to earn that title.

Last edited:
I want to make another distinction also, between two types of places on the "good" side of the spectrum:

*A rescue is a place that will take in chins who were neglected, poorly cared for, surrendered, abandoned, etc. They will treat those who have health problems and seek the advice and work with a chin-experienced veterinarian. They screen potential homes and only adopt out to those who have researched chin care and are capable of properly caring for the animals. They ask for a small adoption fee or donation for animals which are available for adoption. The rescue chins will not necessarily be there permanently, but the chins will always have a home at the rescue if a good home is not found.

*A sanctuary is a place that will take in chins from the same situations as above, however, the main difference is that the chins will reside there permanently. The chins are not rehomed, but live out their lives in the sanctuary where they will be well-cared for. There are not many of these but I do know of a few people who take in rescues on a permanent basis.

As for me, I am a breeder first and foremost and do not consider myself a rescue (as 100% of my efforts are not dedicated just to rescue chins. My breeders and my own pet chins take up a lot of time on their own!). However, I will take in chins that are in need of help. Most of my rescue chins in the past have stayed here about 6 months - year. I am picky about who they go to and I also want to ensure that the chins are perfectly healthy, of good weight, etc. before they go to new homes. I will not take in too many at a time because I just don't have the time and resources to care for a large number of rescues in addition to my own chins. If I am contacted to take in rescues and am unable, there are two legitimate chin rescues in the area who I refer people to. I have the utmost respect for those who put the time, effort, and money into true rescue work. I know how much work it can be with just the few rescue chins I have at a time. Those who have rescues at full capacity, whew, that has to be extremely tiring!

Last edited:
People do a lot of good work without having the nonprofit filing. :) I saved up the money a number of years ago to try to have my own organization. But, I guess you can imagine what happened with that...I spent it on the chins and never saved it up again. :)

I work with nonprofits around here. I wouldn't want to be a nonprofit myself because I don't have the time and energy to solicit donations and do all that extra work. I have to be able to take care of rescue chins and my own chins. Maybe someday I'll have people to help with that...probably not.

Is there anyone out there soliciting donations without having proper nonprofit status with the IRS?

501(c)3 just allows for donations to my understanding. To me that does not "define" a rescue either, just a non-profit organization that can accept donations. Does anyone have the exact definition of what the 501(c)3 is and does??

To me...you don't need a paper from the government to be a rescue. I consider Susan a rescue...she does not solicit people for money and goes out of her way to help and save chinchillas in need. She gives them the proper vet care and treatment and does everything appropriately. I could have used someone else Susan but you posted to the thread so I'm dropping your name!:neener: I do not consider myself a rescue but I also don't consider people who just move a group of chins in need from one location to another a rescue. I consider people who take the animals into their homes and provide proper nutrition, vet care, treatment and practice proper quarantine a rescue. I have no problem donating or helping individuals I see as true rescues...regardless of their fancy paperwork that says I can write it off on taxes. The goal is to donate...not try to get something back for doing a good deed.

There are some very interesting points being raised here - thank you. Please keep them coming. :)

Latest posts

Back