wheat allergy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have had two with it. Its more common than you think since its not frequently diagnosed. One of my vets has seen a few of them. One was so bad he could not have any wheat in anything, including pellets.

Are there any symptoms that you noticed Dawn or do you have it diagnosed when you have a chin with no weight gain and or loss? maybe diarrhea?

Constant bloat and diarrhea, lethargy and no appetite as long as pellets were given, the one suffered scaring to the intestinal tract and the other developed a tumor, both diagnosed too late to be helped.

Sorry to hear that. Can this develop as a chin matures? For example, chin seems fine on pellets after weaning but at 8 months to year they start to develop symptoms? Just wondering as I recently lost a chin that was doing fine, suddenly stopped eating and losing weight, soft poos which then led to stasis. Hand feeding did not help. Tested negative for all parasites. I finally had her PTS as her symptoms had progressed s far. Gross necropsy didn't reveal cause of illness.

I have 2 that suspected wheat allergy. Both of them loses weight very fast but was eating very well. They continued to eat but just dont gain weight and loses weight until they were too weak.

Sorry to hear that. Can this develop as a chin matures? For example, chin seems fine on pellets after weaning but at 8 months to year they start to develop symptoms? Just wondering as I recently lost a chin that was doing fine, suddenly stopped eating and losing weight, soft poos which then led to stasis. Hand feeding did not help. Tested negative for all parasites. I finally had her PTS as her symptoms had progressed s far. Gross necropsy didn't reveal cause of illness.

They were father and son, the father was around 4 when I got him and he had issues when I got him, the son developed the problem at around a year old, his sisters which I did not have had the problem also around a year old, both died of stasis. Father and son were PTS, Father at 6, son at 2.

I have one suspected case as well. Same symptoms as everyone. Her problems started around ten months old when she had frequent periods of constipation. Got really bad when she was around a year old and stopped eating. Went into stasis and had a prolapse. She recovered with surgery only to have the same thing happen a few months later. Vet did suggest putting her on an alternative diet which was when i came to this forum and found out about wheat intolerant chins. My girl cannot take pellets at all now except for the odd one or two. She's totally handfed and thrives on CC and a variety of hay. CC does contain some wheat but it seems that she's okay with that. Since I put her on this new diet, she's been doing well and eating more hay and is currently at her heaviest since the problems began.

Back