What would cause an upset tummy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magyk

So last night when I was going to bed around 2 am, Magyk was hiding in her log house which is really weird because she is never in there at night, especially around that time. Normally she's going nuts on her chin spin.

I tried coaxing her out and she wasn't having interest so I offered up an apple stick and while she nibbled on it, she dropped it after a minute or two and went back into her house.

Very weird.

So we went to the vet and other then having some small poops, lacking energy and decreased appetite (She never stopped eating, just wasn't eating much) she was healthy (Which is a relief because I was so afraid of it being something tooth related or worse). Even her temp was normal. They gave her some fluids since she was a little dehydrated and I'm going to give her some critical care and Metacam for a few days.

So they're guessing she just got an upset tummy since nothing else was turning anything up. I'm assuming just the fluids worked since she is now bouncing around her cage like normal and eating which enthusiasm, which is a big relief!

She's only on a diet of Oxbow pellets and unlimited hay (A mix between timothy, orchard grass and meadow grass). She gets an apple stick on a nightly basis and every once in a while, she gets dehydrated organic rosebud, which she didn't even have for a few days before this.

I cannot think of what had caused this? I'm just glad she's already well approving.

No x-rays were done, our vet wasn't concerned with them since she was already improving just from fluids (And is still improving now, she looks great) and she couldn't see/feel anything abnormal. However, if it happens again or she shows any other signs of illness, that is going to be our next step.

Her water bottle seems to be working alright, but I did wonder about that since it did stick once before (Which luckily I noticed right away). I'll get a new one to be safe, I seriously hope it wasn't due to her water bottle, I'd feel awful...

Just thinking on the bottle, I know it is not recommended to give a chin a bowl since they can get themselves wet, but is there a way I can provide one for her? Now I am wondering if maybe it got stuck or something and when I went to check it maybe I jostled it loose or something... I would hate for the cause of all this to be a stuck water bottle!

Does anyone have any ideas? I just want to be 100% sure she's always getting adequate water...

A stuck bottle for a day won't cause this. So if you check the bottle daily when feeding you're fine.

What is your feed and treat program?

Whenever I see one who is "off", I usually will give a dropper full of simethicone for the rest of the day every 4 hours, usually perks them up again.

A stuck bottle for a day won't cause this. So if you check the bottle daily when feeding you're fine.

What is your feed and treat program?

It is just like I posted, unlimited Oxbow pellets as well as unlimited hay (Oxbow as well, a mix of Botanical, Orchard Grass and Meadow Grass). She gets an apple stick every night and every once in a while, she gets a dehydrated rosebud. She hadn't had one for a few days before this so I don't think that would have caused it either.

Back