What was your first pet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first pet was a dog. She was a sable and white sheltie. I got her when I was 14. She passed away last year

My first pet, that I can remember, was a cat named Old Man. He was my dad's cat but after me and my mom met him and they got married, Old Man quickly became mine! I loved that cat!

My first pet was a goldfish... his name was Goldie (how original, I know). I won him in a carnival game.

My first pet that I actually bought (I used my allowance, lol) and cared for (along with help from my mom) was a rabbit who I named Robbie. I got him when I was 5 years old around Easter. He was a Californian/New Zealand mix so he grew to be a big boy. I had him for 10 years and had to put him to sleep when I was 15 due to cancerous tumors. I was devastated that the vets couldn't help him but old enough to understand that putting him to sleep was the most humane thing to do for him.

Mine was a herd of "Chabo" chickens. They are a smaller breed. I am from city (near Tokyo Japan), but I had them in my parents' backyard. I was four years old, and I would feed them every morning before I was going to school. I put them in a basket of my bicycle and went for rides. I remember that a few chicks died due to accidents, and I saw the moment in which a hen was laying an egg. I always loved animals. Later in my childhood, I got rabbits, chipmunks, turtles, goldfish, frogs, parakeets, hamsters, dog, etc. I always talked about animals in primary school, and a teacher told my parents that I was weird that I always talked about animals, considering my age. I was 12 years old. Besides, what’s wrong about talking about animals all the time? He thought that I was childish…

The first pet I ever had was a goldfish named "Orca". We got him when I was about 3 years old, and had him for several years. The fact that my family lived in a rental house, which didn't allow any other animals, combined with my dad's dislike of indoor pets, prevented us from having any other animals until I was about 7 years old, when he finally relented and let my mom get my siblings and me a hamster.

My first pet that was really "my own" was a rabbit, which my parents got for me at a garage sale when I was 9.

Reeses G Pigg

Reeses was a beautiful long-haired guinea pig whose colors were that of a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. She (after initially being thought a "he" then "she" then "he" then "she") was a very smart piggie. She stood in her bathtub for cleaning and knew that once she saw her human hold up a towel, it was time to get out - which she did all on her own. She knew not to stray off newspapers - we let her onto the floor and she'd only go as far as the paper went. She was a good cuddler and loved her romaine lettuce.

I can't claim that I had any part in her bathing or roaming training, she went to college with my mom's friend's daughter... where I assume she learned much. The daughter graduated and had no more want of a piggie so Reeses went home to the friend's who did a good job taking care of her, but didn't really want her. In time, she found a home with us.

We weren't the perfect piggie parents; we followed what the book said - and we all know how well researched and accurate books about pets are. She lived a few years with us... I believe she was about 7 when she passed. So I think we did alright, but I feel badly about all the stuff we didn't know; the things we could have done to improve her quality of life.

Back