What to do...what to do.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServantofBlueberry

Mela has been with us a few months now, and she was coming along really great. Very social, would come out and play every night, love scritches and treats on treat night. She would beg to come out every night... WELL... a few days ago while I was working my husband tried to pick her up, he said nothing happened but she didnt like it so he put her down... fast forward and she has not come out for playtime in three days. Last night I made a circle with the play pen and got her into her dust house and put her in the play pen... and she was so nervous trying to climb me constantly freaking out trying to get back to her cage. She was SO scared. So I put her back home. What happened to my playful girl? Nothing traumatic happened to her... do you guys think she will get over this? Did I mess up by pretty much forcing her to come out last night?:hmm:

Is she eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally? If not, she may be injured and might need a vet visit. If she is, then something has really spooked her. It could be as simple as a new noisy dog in the neighborhood, a new pet in the house or some new scent you are using around her. This needs some detective work to discover the cause and fixing it.

Yes her food intake, poop output is completely normal. She is sleeping when she normally does and awake destroying her cage during normal hours. Everything is normal, I can reach in and pet her forever and she loves it, she just does not want to come out. No new pets nothing has changed. I dont use air fresheners etc in the house, so the smell shouldnt have changed. I havent heard any strange noises at night that are out of the ordinary, but I am not awake like she is all night. Should I just let her sort it out that nothing is going to hurt her, or should I continue putting her in the playpen to show her that nothing is going to hurt her?

If you are sure it isn't an injury, and she is otherwise acting normally, then let her sort it out. Give her the choice to come out if she wants to and eventually she might get bored enough with her cage to start venturing out again.

Back