What the!!?? Chinchilla whimper?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnt Offering

So yeah, last night after my two chins playtime my wife and I went to bed. Just getting into a good snore when I hear a whimper and it went for a long time. We have two Poms that sleep on the bed with us and at first I thought it was one of them it sounded so much like a dog whimper. So I look at the dogs, they are sleeping like the dead so my wife said it sounded as if it was coming from the Chinchillas direction. Kinda freaked out I got up to go check on them and they are both sitting on a pine ledge looking at me as if to say "what the heck are you looking at"? I looked them both over real good and they looked perfectly fine so I went back to bed. I heard this sound a few more times during the night and then again when I got up this morning. I have never heard this before and it seemed like when it happened it was when they were pretty active running around their cage. It was almost as if to say "We want out"! I listened to all the sounds here and didn't really hear anything that sounded like this. http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Chinchilla_Sounds
Anyone else ever heard this and if so can you offer an explanation?

Was it very high pitched, almost like a scream? If so, that's a frustrated "give me attention!" sort of noise.
My Rosey does this when her playout time is overdue.

It sounds awful, but it's just part of their normal vocabulary!

Or was it the high pitched fast freaky squeak, that also means "Hey you, I needz something!"

Just like this on the high end but longer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=high+pitched+dog+whine

Again, it was not my dogs. I am fanatical about my chins as far as spending time with them and making sure they get everything they need. I have a HUGE home made cage that is a virtual mansion for them and I swear it would be tough to find two more spoiled Chins on the planet. I think I might have a hint as to what is going on. Here in Alaska we are headed into 24 hours of daylight. Having just been through months of almost total darkness I think the long days is messing with their clock. Having been let out at the same time every night it was dark. Now when I let them out its light and they just aren't as active as they have been all winter. They always go back in their cage on their own and the last couple weeks they are only out for about 10 minutes before they go back in which is weird because normally they run around until they completely wear themselves out usually about a half hour or 45 minutes. This is always between 6-7 in the evening. But now what I'm finding is its getting dark at about 10 pm and that's is when they are really coming to life. They are bouncing around their cage wanting out really bad and this is AFTER I have already let them out earlier. I really think that one of them was whining just to let me know that she wanted out really bad. I don't want to read to much into it but the longer I have my chins the more I realize their is a thought process their no matter how small. They never cease to amaze me at the things they come up with. Hope this makes sense.

The death squeal! The sound they make that makes you think someone is definitely dying, but really they just dropped their stick, and they look at you like you're the crazy one when you come running.

That's IT!! That's what it sounded like! Come to think of it I had just given them both a piece of shredded wheat up on a ledge. Maybe one of them dropped it or something and then did the squeal. Not really sure, but having heard it for the first time it DID freak me out :/ But after watching them closely since then neither one of them seem any worse for wear and certainly aren't opposed to a cheerio when I walk by. :)

Back