What makes a good/reputable breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starleomach

Dawnna's Keeper
No names please but examples without names woudl be wonderful, but how do you define a good/reputable breeder.

What qualities do you look for in a breeder... and the reverse what makes a bad breeder.

For me it is honesty. Someone who's not going to lie just to make a sale. They don't sugar coat anything. If an animal has an issue, they will tell you what it is. They would also refuse a sale if the people weren't suited to whatever animal they bred.
I also would want a person who breeds to better the species, not only to turn a profit, which we know is easier said than done! Umm and one that doesn't "know it all" I like breeders who keep an open mind, to learn and improve, and maybe even admit they are wrong if they fall on their face! After all we are human!

Bad qualities, lies to make a sale, won't vet their animal if the animal needs to see a vet (mentality that it's easier to just replace the animal vs vet bill)
Also someone who plays the ignorant card. You know the kind who keep asking the same question, but cease to "try to learn" so when a real problem comes up they can say "Oh I didn't know!" I also get tired of back stabbing. Plays up people but the minute they turn their back they have all sorts of dirt to dish out!

Last edited:
To me a good breeder and a reputable breeder aren't always the same thing. A good breeder is one who knows his animals. Applies the science of breeding. Not only knows how ,but properly cares for his animals.
A reputable breeder is only what others think of them. I know of many great breeders who don't have a huge nation wide reputation. And I know some breeders whose reputation isn't justified ,by the care and breeding choices they make in the barn.
What makes a good breeder is based on scince and it's application to their herd.
Many times a reputable breeder is based on nothing but false opinions and the persons carisma/salesmanship rather then on how well they care for and what quality of animals they produce.

A good breeder has an understanding of the genetics, husbandry, and health issues of the animal they work with. They care for and about their animals. They care about the entire species and its future rather than just whats in their barn/unit/room. They belong to a club or organization and attend shows. They maintain records and keep pedigrees. They have a plan and/or goal with their breedings and select their stock knowledgeably and accordingly. They continue to learn.

A bad breeder takes shortcuts. Their goals are typically financially motivated and always short term.

to me good and reputable are two different things. A person can practice what I feel are poor breeding practices but still be reputable. If you are upfront and honest and properly care for your animals you can be reputable, but to be a good breeder takes that AND more.

IMHO a good breeders herd should be based on and built upon their standard herd, and in general the herd should be built upon it's own animals, not constant outcrosses. Anyone can buy, it takes money but little skill and you can buy a decent herd, but breeding is a skill that not everyone will learn to do well.

I think I feel the same way as many of you. When I read "good", I think morally sound, improving the species, intelligent pairings, and honest evaluations of their own animals. When I read "reputable" I think large herds, many years of breeding, and great, long running show records. It's certainly not easy to find a breeder that's both.

A good breeder has an understanding of the genetics, husbandry, and health issues of the animal they work with. They care for and about their animals. They care about the entire species and its future rather than just whats in their barn/unit/room. They belong to a club or organization and attend shows. They maintain records and keep pedigrees. They have a plan and/or goal with their breedings and select their stock knowledgeably and accordingly. They continue to learn.
I agree, and it's also a good breeder that understands and values the reasons behind the organizations, shows and accurate pedigrees.

IMHO a good breeders herd should be based on and built upon their standard herd, and in general the herd should be built upon it's own animals, not constant outcrosses. Anyone can buy, it takes money but little skill and you can buy a decent herd, but breeding is a skill that not everyone will learn to do well.
I think this is an interesting statement. I do agree, but I also think that you aren't going to be a reputable breeder without this as well.

I know of many great breeders who don't have a huge nation wide reputation. And I know some breeders whose reputation isn't justified ,by the care and breeding choices they make in the barn.
What makes a good breeder is based on scince and it's application to their herd.

My response was about breeders in general, not just Chins, and mainly from a bird breeders perspective since I've I had been breeding them longer than chins, but this statement is so true! I still think a "good" breeder needs to be ethical to some degree. I've bought from those who had great animals, but would sell their problem animals with out full disclosure. What you paid for wasn't always what you recieved!

I think IMO that there are good breeders, and GREAT breeders.

Bad breeders will use any chin to make a buck. I was browsing around websites last night out of curiosity and noticed that one had a rescue page and a page for their herd. Most of the herd was also on the rescue page. That just makes me ill. Especially if you are going to be that upfront that you breed your rescues.

I agree that a good breeder might not necessarily be one of your most well known. It is important to research and ask questions, and be knowlegeable enough to know what to look out for and what questions to ask. I personally won't deal with anyone not willing to take the time to answer questions, or help to make sure I am getting what I am looking for. I take a lot of time talking to potential adopters before I let a chin leave here. I like to deal with people that have the same concerns with their rescues as well.

Without reading other responses for ideas, I'm going to say what I think a good breeder is.

A good breeder breeds to better the species, knows what they're doing, participates in shows and helps to educate beginners. (Sorry for short response, it's early and my toe is practically broke, ugh)

A bad breeder is one who doesn't participate in shows, has no idea what they're breeding and why it's good or bad, breeds for money and not quality (Also quantity not quality) doesn't care what illnesses it carries, doesn't care who they sale to, doesn't care for much in general.

I agree with all of the above. But the one thing I have to add is that for me, a good breeder will not breed to have a nice looking chinchilla if health could be a problem.

I agree with most of everything that's been said. My only exception is about attending shows. I don't believe it is necessary to attend shows to be a good breeder. I believe education is the key. A good breeder will be one whose principle concern is with the health and quality of the animals, and who is willing to continue to learn and better themselves and their herd. This is most easily done by attending shows, but can be accomplished through extensive research, and forums like this one. Unfortunately, there are people, like myself, who simply don't have the ability to attend shows regularly. That just means we have to work that much harder to learn about these beautiful animals, to become good breeders.

I really believe in order to breed for the betterment of the species, attending shows/competitions is requisite. Being a good, responsible breeder is not just about bettering your own stock, but the species on the whole, and I don't see how you can do that without being familiar with the best of the best. Words and photographs alone are inadequate.

Not only would going to shows keep you from barn blindness, but it also supports the organizations hosting the show. As I said before, belonging to/supporting an organization that supports the animal you're working with is also an earmark of a good breeder.

There is no better way to see where you stand in your breeding program than shows or seminars, where you can grade the animals. We didn't show for quite a few years, when our kids were growing up. When we started to show it was a big shock to us to see how far behind we were. You may think your animals are on a par with everyone else's, but you don't know for sure without comparisons, shows, seminars and such. Attending shows is a definate plus toward quality breeding. You can become a good breeder, but can you become a quality breeder without knowing where your herd stands in relation to other herds?:thumbsup:

i wish i could go to more shows than i do. i also wish i could show more animals at each show that i do attend but the fact is that my herd is tiny and my ability to take a couple of days off is limited to say the best.

so, under the circumstances i do what i can - i go to no less than two shows a year even if i only have a couple of animals to show and i show just about EVERYTHING i produce (almost) even if they don't look that great when i leave home.

i will never take GSC (though i did take class champion in several shows including nationals) but i learn every show i go to!

I agree that shows can be an invaluable tool. However, there are those of us who are unable to attend shows regularly. This doesn't mean that we are any less dedicated to good breeding practices, or the betterment of the species. We simply have life circumstances that are not "travel friendly".

The problem with breeders of any animals who do not show can become/be "barn blind" it happens to even the best breeders of any species. I think showing and attending shows is critical. I also think a good breeder is always looking to improve. There is always room for improvement. I don't care how great the chins you have are..they can always be better. I know traveling can complicate things but it really is necessary.

I have to go with the group here, to KNOW what you are producing you have to show your offspring. I've run across many people who were knocked down a few pegs when they finally got their animals on the show table. The spent a lot of money, bought "show quality" animals and "first place equivalent" animals only to find these animals and their offspring where not of breeding quality.

To me good and reputable are different in alot of ways.

A good breeder would be one with a proven line of high quality animals that were of their pairings for at least a few generations for most of their herd. To me a good breeder would be one who knows their stuff and can back up their animals with their records of the breedings they have done and what they have accomplished quality wise. A good breeder lets the animals sell themselves.

A reputable breeder to me is one who has a good track record when selling animals to the public ( honest, ethical, respectful ). To me a breeder with a good reputation is one who is good at selling chinchillas not necessarily good at producing high quality animals, just like high school reputation is bult on what others think not all the time is a person with a good reputation a good person they are just good at presenting themselves that way to others.

To me a bad breeder would be anyone who breeds strictly for financial gain or personal glory with no regards to quality, health, or who their chins are sold too. A bad breeder is one who breeds indiscrimitely with no regards as to what they are producing in the offpsring and no regards as to why they are breeding ( no goals ).

I am not a breeder, but I did visit two breeders over the weekend. They both had great information to share and were very open and honest about raising and breeding chins.

That is what a good breeder is to me... Open, honest and up front about what is best for the/your Chinchillas.

I say that because neither one of them showed dissappointment in the face that I did not purchase one of their Chins, they were happy to help educate me on the couple areas that I needed information on.

Latest posts

Back