What live plants are safe for chins to eat (if any)?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrrayson

I did a search on this question and didn't find much... This post was interesting: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=189207&postcount=8

Gulliver's been nosing at couple of plants around the house and it got me thinking that a live plant would probably be a very fun treat. Of course I keep him away from them but I thought the idea worth exploring.

I'm hoping our esteemed expert Ticklechin will see this: Do you have live wheat grass growing? That would be awesome to leave a patch of it growing live and just let him graze on it a little at play time. I suspect Gulliver would love that.

Are there any live plants that might be safe for chinchillas to eat in any capacity?

Thanks in advance,

Grayson

the trouble with live plants is the high moiture content much like give veggies in general it will cause bloat.

That was my guess too, thanks for the response.

I was mentioning this to my girlfriend the other day and her response was, "They drink water." I didn't have a good explanation in response to this.

If I'm allowed to tangentialize a thread I started: What is the difference in moisture from water and moisture in plants? I've read that in the wild they are thought to actually get a large amount of their water needs for moisture contained in plants.

Also: If moisture in plants is bad, is there some sort of measure of how much moisture a plant contains and what a chinchilla's tolerance for this is?

Obviously, the more things he can safely nom on, the better!

I do buy a 4x4 pot of organic wheat grass, sometimes I just set the pot in there cage for a minute while they eat and explore it and sometimes I just tear off 2-3 strands per chin to eat.

Obviously, the more things he can safely nom on, the better!

Chinchillas do not need extravagant plants, treats, whatever added to their diet. The more simple the diet, the better. Pellets, hay, and fresh water is all they need. Wheat grass is the only type of live plant I would give my chin. I gave a few strands of it once, but never gave it again, just because it isn't necessary. Some chins are also know to have wheat intolerance, I just don't want to dabble with that possibility. I use the KISS- Keep it simple stupid. My chins rarely get treats- I give them a lot of different types of wood to chew on every night and they think that's even better than treats.

All chins need to survive and be happy are a good quality pellet, hay, and water. The more things you add into the diet, the more chance you face of upsetting the bacteria in the GI system and causing problems.

Just to throw this in there about wheatgrass.
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20537&highlight=wheatgrass

Originally Posted by ticklechin
The only change I found out in the play pen was I forgot to put a new wheat grass in there when I threw out the old one last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it since Guido is a wheat grass addict also? Wonder if the wheat grass was covering up a sugar problem?
You might have found your answer, Dawn. :yes:

Have a look-see here. http://wheatgrass.com/product-info/wheat-grass-or-wheatgrass/
Because the wheatgrass grows so quickly in the warm conditions, the plant has a relatively high level of simple sugars and lacks sufficient time to convert these sugars into complex carbohydrates, vitamins, amino acids and other nutrients. Simple sugar levels may be a factor in the quick burst of energy that some users experience immediately after drinking the juice.
If that's true of wheatgrass juice then it is possible the same is true of the chins' wheatgrass (maybe). In theory if Guido stuffs his little furry face with wheatgrass then he may be giving himself a sugar rush which he didn't get last night

It appears that wheatgrass gives our little furry friends a sugar rush ;)

So, would you think that wheat grass, if given, needs to be only fed at special occasions? I never really thought of it as something that would give anything a sugar rush. However, if you ever have had wheat grass juice, you probably have noticed that it can give you extra energy! I'm not sure if it is a shot of B-vitamins or what - could the extra vitamins cause a chin to get that rush?

So, would you think that wheat grass, if given, needs to be only fed at special occasions? I never really thought of it as something that would give anything a sugar rush.
Yes, I would be tempted to only give a small blade or two every now & again but I don't have any direct experience - I tend to put anything with sugar content into the 'extra special occasional treat' category.
I do know that Dawn uses wheatgrass more often so maybe she can comment. :)

I'm not sure if it is a shot of B-vitamins or what - could the extra vitamins cause a chin to get that rush?
Not sure about vitamins giving a rush but the sugar most probably will.

I have used it as a snack at playtime since I first got Tiki and Meegus 10 1/2 years ago, of the 15 I have had I have never had one have a issue with it, works for me and my chins since I am comfortable with the amount they eat and they enjoy it with no detrimental results, Dante is 17 and has eaten it for the 10 years I have had him. I would not leave it in the cage full time. They are picky on their wheat grass, they only like one brand and will not touch any other brand but the one. I don't feed cheerios or shredded wheat or any other treats but sticks so this bit besides LL is their treat.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying, Dawn. :thumbsup:

They are picky on their wheat grass, they only like one brand and will not touch any other brand but the one.
:laughitup: Isn't that just typical of our small, furry friends? Fussy little monsters who only want the best. :rofl:

I don't feed cheerios or shredded wheat or any other treats but sticks so this bit besides LL is their treat.
I think this is one of the keys: moderation & choosing treats sensibly. :yes:

Mine get a fresh or sun dried dandelion flower or small leaf every once in a while for a spring/summer treat. They are high in vitamins and the chins love them. As with everything else, give in moderation and don't pick them from anywhere you aren't 100% sure they hasn't been sprayed with chemicals.

Stackie:

I don't say "the more things he can safely nom on the better" for the sake of me wanting to give him exotic treats but rather just because he's going to try to chew on everything in sight anyway. Therefore, if you're going to have a houseplant, why not have a chin-safe houseplant if possible?

Ticklechin: Thanks for elaborating!

And thanks to everyone else for your contributions.

Stackie:

I don't say "the more things he can safely nom on the better" for the sake of me wanting to give him exotic treats but rather just because he's going to try to chew on everything in sight anyway. Therefore, if you're going to have a houseplant, why not have a chin-safe houseplant if possible?

Well I would hope you're not giving him a chance chew on your houseplants, safe or not. Chin play areas should not contain anything like that for them to "possibly" chew on.

thank you for posting this thread. That's what this forum is for, is to answer questions like this and to have a better, honest understanding of things. It''s better to ask than to assume.

New owners or old there's always something to learn from other members on here.......

Well I would hope you're not giving him a chance chew on your houseplants, safe or not. Chin play areas should not contain anything like that for them to "possibly" chew on.

OK, so your chinchilla play area is a flat granite slab in the middle of nowhere with no nearby accoutrements of any kind? I don't get your logic here. Anything at all–the walls of the room you are in, the ledges in their cages, furniture, you and your clothing–are things that they will "possibly" chew on. And of course I don't just let him going around chewing on anything he likes–I keep him supervised.

thank you for posting this thread. That's what this forum is for, is to answer questions like this and to have a better, honest understanding of things. It''s better to ask than to assume.

New owners or old there's always something to learn from other members on here.......

Thank you! This is an awesome forum and I love it but sometimes the responses are discouraging...

OK, so your chinchilla play area is a flat granite slab in the middle of nowhere with no nearby accoutrements of any kind? I don't get your logic here. Anything at all–the walls of the room you are in, the ledges in their cages, furniture, you and your clothing–are things that they will "possibly" chew on. And of course I don't just let him going around chewing on anything he likes–I keep him supervised.

My play area is chin safe. I do not have anything available for them to chew on that they should not be- including plants. They play in my dining room- which is actually nothing more than a chin room. The dining room is attached to my living room, so I block it off with playpen panels. Nothing is in their play area accept me, their play boxes, and toys. Obviously they can possibly chew on the walls, but I am there to stop as soon as they begin doing it. The things you listed are one thing- a plant is totally different and something that can be moved away from their play area.

My play area is chin safe. I do not have anything available for them to chew on that they should not be- including plants. They play in my dining room- which is actually nothing more than a chin room. The dining room is attached to my living room, so I block it off with playpen panels. Nothing is in their play area accept me, their play boxes, and toys. Obviously they can possibly chew on the walls, but I am there to stop as soon as they begin doing it. The things you listed are one thing- a plant is totally different and something that can be moved away from their play area.

Right–so you give them things to play with to keep in interesting for them, they chew on everything in sight anyway, and as much as you try to make it safe you still have to supervise them.

I'm sorry if I answered this in a bad mood–I just don't think it was warranted for me to be criticized for:

1. Having an extremely common household item around that I don't let him chew on and

2. Asking if such common household items might be safe for him.

I think it's important here that people don't feel that they'll be criticized for asking completely reasonable questions–that would be a disservice to the quality of life for chinchillas in general.

Still, lest I give off any bad vibes–I do always appreciate the input.

Regards,

Grayson

Back