What color are my chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
Ok,so I researched a few different sites and am still not sure on my chins' colors. I have included some pictures...
Pic 1 is Pikachu...I believe he is a standard gray.
Pic 2&3is Chincha...not sure on his color at all.
Pic 4&5 is Chili...I believe he is a black velvet.

Please give me your opinion on their colors. Thanks!

Attachments

• pets 028.jpg
    pets 028.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 140
  • chinchillas 004.jpg
    chinchillas 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 129
  • chinchillas 001.jpg
    chinchillas 001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 116
  • chinchillas 005.jpg
    chinchillas 005.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 111
  • chinchillas 006.jpg
    chinchillas 006.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 86
Standard, ebony, and black velvet.

How often do you bathe your chins? They look pretty greasy in those pictures, so you might want to offer the dust bath more often. Also, looks like your first chin, Pikachu, is a fur chewer. Nothing to panic about, just pointing it out.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Thank you for your help....The 1st one I have had for about 2 wks and he gets a dust bath every other day. The older 2 , I got today and I do agree that the owner before must not have given them baths too often. They also have matted fur. Do you know what would be the best way to help with the matted fur? Also with the first, he is only 3 months old...I have not seen him chew, is it possible that it may be just the picture? Thank you again for your answers and help.

Standard, ebony, and black velvet.

How often do you bathe your chins? They look pretty greasy in those pictures, so you might want to offer the dust bath more often. Also, looks like your first chin, Pikachu, is a fur chewer. Nothing to panic about, just pointing it out.

Welcome to CnH. :)

He definitely looks like he's chewing on the hip. Again, not a big deal, but not attractive to most people.

Lots of dust baths, keep the humidity down in the room where they are, keep it cool, and you might want to invest in some chin combs. If they are actuall matts or clumps, you can gently tug them out by grabbing them at the base. Sometimes that's faster than anything else.

Ok when I took the picture of the 1st, it was the day that I got him...I don't notice a difference in his fur length now and I never see him chew. Is few chewing something that can go away? I will definitely get some chin combs. Thank you.

Fur chewing is when they chew off the tip of their fur. You can easily see it on Pikachu's hips. ;) Like Tunes said, it's nothing to worry about, just noting it for you.

And I agree on the colors. Standard, ebony and black velvet.

You might want to change the type of dust you use. From the second picture of the ebony, it looks like you are using kaytee dust. In my experience, Kaytee tends to dry out a chinchilla's skin very quickly while doing little to clean the coat. Personal preference for me is blue cloud dust and second would be blue sparkle dust.

Cute chinchillas and welcome to the forum! :)

dust

The 2 chins in the last 4 pictures are my newest, I received them today. The previous owner did use Kaytee...you were right there. I myself bought Blue Cloud for them though, but I tried it out with them and they aren't interested yet. I'll keep trying though. They are definitely in need of a good dust bath.

Fur chewing is when they chew off the tip of their fur. You can easily see it on Pikachu's hips. ;) Like Tunes said, it's nothing to worry about, just noting it for you.

And I agree on the colors. Standard, ebony and black velvet.

You might want to change the type of dust you use. From the second picture of the ebony, it looks like you are using kaytee dust. In my experience, Kaytee tends to dry out a chinchilla's skin very quickly while doing little to clean the coat. Personal preference for me is blue cloud dust and second would be blue sparkle dust.

Cute chinchillas and welcome to the forum! :)

Definitely prefer the blue cloud here too! I used Kaytee first when I got chins, but it doesn't work.
If you find your chins aren't interested in their dust, you can try different containers for it. With them being in a new place they may be nervous, so you may need to leave the dust in their cage for a bit and leave the room. But then come back maybe 15 minutes later and see if they've dusted.
Or try an open container like a bread loaf pan if you're using an enclosed container.

Fur chewing is a nervous habit and yes, it is possible that he stopped chewing since you got him.
I'm sure they will all be fluffed up and gorgeous in no time! Just keep offering the Blue Cloud, they will eventually feel comfortable enough to use it.
In the meantime, you can sprinkle a little of it on their backs and rub it in with your hand, that might help them feel a little better until they decide to dust on their own.

Congrats on expanding your family!
:)

I agree chewing is genetic, Animals are genetically predispositioned to chew. They may stop for a time but will usually start again. I believe research was done to prove this a long time ago

Looks to me like he was at least partially being chewed by someone else - his nose is chewed. I've seen that when too many babies are kept in too small of a cage.

He may not chew at all, it may have been mom or a littermate.

How are they looking now?

I have had my 2 adult chinchillas a little under a month now and the baby about a month now...in the first pics that I posted, alot of you commented on their fur. I am sure that the previous owners did not care for them correctly. I have since started them on Purina Rabbit Chow Show formula food and am using Blue Cloud dust for their baths.I also bought a grooming brush for them to help with the matted fur. Do you notice an improvement?

Ok,so I researched a few different sites and am still not sure on my chins' colors. I have included some pictures...
Pic 1 is Pikachu...I believe he is a standard gray.
Pic 2&3is Chincha...not sure on his color at all.
Pic 4&5 is Chili...I believe he is a black velvet.

Please give me your opinion on their colors. Thanks!

Attachments

• nov16 005.jpg
    nov16 005.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 43
  • nov16 010.jpg
    nov16 010.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
I have had my 2 adult chinchillas a little under a month now and the baby about a month now...in the first pics that I posted, alot of you commented on their fur. I am sure that the previous owners did not care for them correctly. I have since started them on Purina Rabbit Chow Show formula food and am using Blue Cloud dust for their baths.I also bought a grooming brush for them to help with the matted fur. Do you notice an improvement?

Yeah! They look like chinchillas again instead of a bad Jersey Shore hairdo! They look good. Have they settled in?

Yes, they are settling in well...the youngest is very happy being held, but the older two are more scared of me. I work with them everyday though and have them where they will come up to my hands now at least...especially for an occassional treat :)

Back