what can I do while I wait for vet appointment ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlieberman

I noticed that Channel has an eye that she is keeping shut .. so we wiped her eye and noticed it is crusty after a few drops of water the crust wiped off and we opened her eye which has some mucus not alot but enough to harden and keep the eye shut

we have made an appointment for her but the vet is not able to see her till Monday

she is eating fine , active , drinking and over all looking normal .. there has been a sneeze or 2 but not many .. I checked her nose it looks clear not crusty , not runny

is there anything I can do at home to keep her from getting worse while we wait ?

You can use Boric Acid. Dilute the boric acid in warm water and then dip a cotton ball in the liquid and wash the outside of the eye with it. It help eye irritants. You can find boric acid at most pharmacies.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

we have been keep a close watch on her and so far she is doing good .. she is alot more active than she was .. still eating , drinking and going to town on her dust bath when she is allowed

last night she managed to get her eye open herself .. it still looks pretty nasty with some crusty around it .. I have been trying to wipe it to keep it clean but she is a wiggly critter I did manage to get a few drops of saline solution in her eye last night before she escaped and took off

she is still quick as lighting so she must not be feeling too terribly bad

still going to the vet though just to be on the safe side

Just a suggestion, you may want to hold off on giving her a dust bath until her eye is cleared up. If theres an infection you wouldnt want to add dust to it. Also, if the vet gives you meds make sure its eye drops. I would imagine thats what you would get but once my chin had an eye issue and I was given an eye cream antibiotic! Imagine how well that one went over!

Back