What cage is suitable for a chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FeatherFrost

I'm trying to learn a lot about chinchillas before I jump into buying one. A main question that I have is the cage. What kind of cage is suitable for a single chin? I've looked into these, but they look a little too small:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752703&lmdn=Pet+Type&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753352&lmdn=Pet+Type&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

I can't really spend more than $150 on a cage. Is there a way for me to make my own? Also, would bedding or fleece work best?

I'd say check craigslist for everything within say a 100 mile radius and look for used ferret nation or critter nation cages. You may not find one right away, but if you keep looking your bound to find one eventually. I've gotten 4 of them that way and have never paid more than 100 for a double unit. If they come with plastic pans, or the pans are missing you can order the metal pans from bass equipment.

I'd say check craigslist for everything within say a 100 mile radius and look for used ferret nation or critter nation cages. You may not find one right away, but if you keep looking your bound to find one eventually. I've gotten 4 of them that way and have never paid more than 100 for a double unit. If they come with plastic pans, or the pans are missing you can order the metal pans from bass equipment.
Should I get a chinchilla from Craigslist, or a breeder?

You should probably get the chin from a breeder unless the Craigslist chin you are looking at has some sort of background. Don't buy from a petstore, their chins usually are sick when you get them, or ill-bred.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but Chinchillas are expensive pets. If you can't afford $150 for a cage, you probably can't afford a chin. From breeders, the chin itself will probably be around $100-300 depending on colour/quality/etc. Vet bills can be awful! If your chin falls and hurts its leg and needs an xray, it will cost a couple hundred dollars. Chinchillas are worth the investment, but you need to have the money to make that investment.

On a lighter note, fleece is really really easy to clean and many people make all sorts of fleece things on here. I ordered from Alli on Camphor Chins. Also, you can totally make a cage yourself. Many people have, check out the housing and supplies thread :)

You should probably get the chin from a breeder unless the Craigslist chin you are looking at has some sort of background. Don't buy from a petstore, their chins usually are sick when you get them, or ill-bred.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but Chinchillas are expensive pets. If you can't afford $150 for a cage, you probably can't afford a chin. From breeders, the chin itself will probably be around $100-300 depending on colour/quality/etc. Vet bills can be awful! If your chin falls and hurts its leg and needs an xray, it will cost a couple hundred dollars. Chinchillas are worth the investment, but you need to have the money to make that investment.

On a lighter note, fleece is really really easy to clean and many people make all sorts of fleece things on here. I ordered from Alli on Camphor Chins. Also, you can totally make a cage yourself. Many people have, check out the housing and supplies thread :)
Thank you for the honesty. :) I'll be getting a job over the summer to raise some money for the chin.

I have the top one and my chin is fine in it. I would replace the plastic shelves with wood though.

What are they like as pets? How often will I have to clean the cage?

*sorry for the many questions*

If you don't ask questions, you won't learn anything :neener:

What they're like as pets depends a lot on you, and the individual chin. If you spend a lot of time with them and train them, they can make great interactive pets. There are a few on here who have trained their chins to ride around on their shoulders and do tricks. On the other hand, I have spent hours interacting with one of my chins and worked with socializing her, but she just prefers to do her own thing, and I have accepted that.

As far as cleaning, I use fleece liners - this allows me to vacuum out the poops everyday, and just trade out the liners and throw the dirties in the washer once per week.

If you don't ask questions, you won't learn anything :neener:

What they're like as pets depends a lot on you, and the individual chin. If you spend a lot of time with them and train them, they can make great interactive pets. There are a few on here who have trained their chins to ride around on their shoulders and do tricks. On the other hand, I have spent hours interacting with one of my chins and worked with socializing her, but she just prefers to do her own thing, and I have accepted that.

As far as cleaning, I use fleece liners - this allows me to vacuum out the poops everyday, and just trade out the liners and throw the dirties in the washer once per week.
So they don't necessarily seek as much attention as a very social animal (like a rat or guinea pig)? That might fit in with my lifestyle, since I'm not always available at home. I'm gone for a good nine hours of the day.

Back