West Coast MCBA Results

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

Okay, here it is.

Grand Show Champion~~~Dk. Beige~~~MCNW 47~~~Claire Russell
Res. Grand Show Champion~~~XDk. Ebony~~~Rosco~~~Brenna Sundar

Champion Female of Show~~~Dk. Beige~~~MCNW 47~~~Claire Russell
Res. Female of Show~~~XDk. Black~~~R-BS V115~~~Sarah Ralston

Champion Male of Show~~~XDk. Ebony~~~Rosco~~~Brenna Sundar
Res. Male of Show~~~XDk. Black~~~R-BS T958~~~Sarah Ralston

White Champion Female~~~Pink White~~~341~~~Ronda Frazier
White Reserve~~~Pink White~~~342~~~Ronda Frazier
White Champion Male~~~White~~~288~~~Ronda Frazier
White Reserve~~~White~~~DBC 24~~~Claire Russell

Violet Champion Female~~~Dk. Violet~~~MLVC V14~~~Sue Irvin
Violet Reserve~~~Med. Violet~~~MCNW 49~~~Claire Russell
Violet Champion Male~~~Med. Violet~~~332~~~Ronda Frazier

Beige Champion Female~~~Dk. Beige~~~MCNW 47~~~Claire Russell
Beige Reserve~~~Lt. Beige~~~638~~~Ronda Frazier
Beige Champion Male~~~Dk. Beige~~~QS V194~~~Sarah Ralston
Beige Reserve~~~Md. Beige~~~336~~~Ronda Frazier

Naturalle Champion Female~~~XDk. Nat.~~~EBG V73~~~Sarah Ralston
Naturalle Reserve~~~Med. Nat.~~~MCNW 25~~~Claire Russell
Naturalle Champion Male~~~XDk. Nat.~~~EBG V1849~~~Sarah Ralston

Black Champion Female~~~XDk. Black~~~R-BS V115~~~Sarah Ralston
Black Champion Male~~~XDk. Black~~~R-BS T958~~~Sarah Ralston
Black Reserve~~~XDk. Black~~~DCC W224~~~Colleen Brooks

Ebony Champion Female~~~Dk. Ebony~~~338~~~Ronda Frazier
Ebony Reserve~~~XDk. Ebony~~~RCR V1~~~Sarah Ralston
Ebony Champion Male~~~XDk. Ebony~~~Rosco~~~Brenna Sundar
Ebony Reserve~~~Med. Ebony~~~333~~~Ronda Frazier

Baby Derby Winner: Chritine Marchington

That's the winners. The rest will posted on the MCBA web site as soon as they have a chance once I mail it in. Great Show everyone. There were 86 entries, 3 Baby Derby entries, 10 exhibitors, lots of fun and financially our best show yet!!

The awards went a little smoother but I still need to streamline that part of the show more. If you did not receive a ribbon you are entitled to, let me know and I'll mail it to you. The same if you received the wrong ribbon, mail it back to me and I'll get you the right one. Questions? Email me!! [email protected]

Very nice show, I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the pictures!

Also, I won the jewlry set, necklace and earings, very nicely crrafted and very beautiful.

Congrats to all the winners! It was a fun show, and my 11 yr old had a great time. I think the high light for me was when his chin Elvis took a 1st. He was so nervous, and promptly feel asleep after Elvis was graded. He was tickled to win one of the raffles, and I think he was in awe of all the chinchillas! Hopefully we have another addict in the making! :)

Congrats to all the winners! It was a fun show, and my 11 yr old had a great time. I think the high light for me was when his chin Elvis took a 1st. He was so nervous, and promptly feel asleep after Elvis was graded. He was tickled to win one of the raffles, and I think he was in awe of all the chinchillas! Hopefully we have another addict in the making! :)

I was about that age when my cat won Best of Show in a local Portland OR, show, and 3rd in a National CFA show. I will always remember that, it was one of the best moments in my childhood. Give him a big congratulations from me!

:congrats4:

My husband and I went - it was our first chin show! We were so over-excited that we even put 2 raffle tickets in to win the standard female, even though we don't need another chin. But, our luck was fantastic - I won one of Mae's fabulous chin illustrations, and some other lucky soul got the female chin. Phew!

Yeah, I was there too. I was disappointed that the breeding pair went to people that clearly did not need more chins or breeders. I had hoped the pair would have gone to someone who may have been interested in getting started breeding. Perhaps next year we can have a separate raffle pair just for us newbies. ;)

Yeah, I was there too. I was disappointed that the breeding pair went to people that clearly did not need more chins or breeders. I had hoped the pair would have gone to someone who may have been interested in getting started breeding. Perhaps next year we can have a separate raffle pair just for us newbies. ;)

I didn't know a lot of people so missed out on who won the pair, but would have loved to had won that standard ebc! LOL I think it's just as exciting for those of us who have a few chins to win, as it would be for a newbie...:innocent: Believe me my son made sure I bought a lot of raffle tickets!

I won the breeding pair. I'm very happy to add PSK lines to my herd that I'm still building. I worked 3 jobs last year in order to pay for my foundation animals and do not feel that I'm less deserving of them then the next person. My sincerest apologies if my winning the raffle chins or the amount of chins I brought to the show has offended someone. This was not my intention. I was only looking to have my chins graded by some of the best judges in the industry. I was elated when I won a chin from their breeding and had the opportunity to discuss the genetics of the chin with them after the show.

You shouldn't have to apologise, and for what it's worth you are starting out the right way. Everyone says buy the best you can, and you worked your butt off to do so.
If someone wanted to win at the raffle, well they could have bought more tickets IMO, after all it supports the chapter!
I know some were disappointed in how they placed at the show, but in all honestly good honest critiquing is a valuable learning tool. I really liked the judges we had. I paid $300 for an animal and she only took 2nd. Yeah it sucked, but hey I learned something and you can't put a price tag on it. :)

Remember, every judge has his/her own opinion. Certain qualities they look for are common from one judge to another, but not all qualities. What one judge may like, another may not. That's why we have different judges every year. Last year a young chin took Reserve Grand Show Champion. This year the judges did not like young chins, felt they weren't mature enough to be able to evaluate their fur. Next time I want to bring in our President, Randy Jagielo, if possible, to give us another perspective. (Don't tell Randy, I haven't asked him yet, keep the surprise!) AND not every champion will breed a champion, for that matter, not every champion will BREED! So just keep it in perspective, it's only an opinion.

Next time I want to bring in our President, Randy Jagielo, if possible, to give us another perspective. (Don't tell Randy, I haven't asked him yet, keep the surprise!)

Oh and he has to bring some chins up if he judges the show! I was lucky enough last yr to find someone who would ship some of his animals up with hers, and have not been disappointed!

To start, I was not trying to make anyone feel bad or asking for an apology from anybody. I was also in no way saying the winners of the raffle would not find use for the breeding pair. I was simply trying to bring to light that there were several first time show people who were interested in starting breeding who could potentially help improve breeding lines (as much as experienced breeders) in the future as they get into breeding. Also, while buying more raffle tickets would help the organization, this does not really address the issue of most of the beginning breeders leaving the show with nothing but some advice and experience judging (although this is defintiely very helpful, it doesn't really give someone a jumpstart into breeding). I just think that encouraging responsible new breeders helps everybody and helps improve chin lines, and but I did not feel that desire to encourage new breeders at that show.

Seachin,
How would you have liked to be encouraged?

There were quite a few breeders who brought chins to sell at the show. I know of one couple who had been to see me and came to the show to see about buying a chin to replace one of theirs that had died. They bought one there. No one gets something for nothing. It's taken me 14 years to develop our lines and start showing. That meant a lot of lost chins, bought chins, line breeding, etc., and a lot of cost. We're all about encouraging new breeders, as you can see in Sarah's new herd. Now she has to start producing on her own and we'll all see what she can do.

I hope you'll continue to come and be part of our chapter. It's fairly new and I took over last year so I hope it will be a friendly place for all; longtime breeder, new breeder, starting out breeder.

@ seachin- I understand what you are saying. But that MCBA show was very small compared to some other shows i've been to. Like in So. Cal. We had furball ranch, bowen, and chincolores etc. Very nice chins, and they all won firsts etc. And we didn't have any raffles for live chins, at least i wasn't aware of! From what sue said at the end of the show about how their chins were getting better, im sure the people who did well, went outside of their region to get the best chins they could. So if you want to start breeding i would look for the best chins, who are not necessarily from upper west coast. And if you did want to start breeding I'm sure they would all have answered your questions, and tried to set you up with nice pair. Unless you were looking for "free" chins im not sure what you're saying.

Just another side note, I don't know if everyone heard about this: There was a family who came all the way from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, because their little girl wanted a female chin. Her big sister had one, but wouldn't let her younger sister play with it. They could have bought one in Idaho but no one had a female available, especially a young one which is what she wanted. So they came to see if they could buy one here. Well, no one had brought a female to sell, there was only the raffle chin, the standard/ec. So they bought some tickets and waited. At lunch they asked me when we would draw the tickets and I said not until the end of the show (trying to sell more tickets on my part). They were planning on leaving to go home before that but stayed until the end (after mom and the little girl said a prayer). Well, she won the little girl chin, a little girl's prayer answered in a future church's parking garage. And I'm sure everyone remembers how excited she was. I thought that was pretty encouraging!!

Okay, for starters, NO I was not looking for a free chin. I actually bought a lot of raffle tickets, not expecting anything, more to donate to the organization. I was again in no way saying I am disappointed because I did not win, nor was I saying I was not excited for the little girl who won the female, that was actually quite exciting. A few of the new people I have talked to actually were not aware of chins that were for sale, which would have been nice to have known about ahead of time...perhaps a list of availables from breeders who would be bringing them would be useful for next time. I fully understand that creating and breeding herds takes time, money, hardship, effort, and travel, and I am not implying that it doesn't. The only suggestion, which I made in the beginning, is that perhaps a decent breeding pair could be put up for raffle for people who were not already breeders to get them started.

The only suggestion, which I made in the beginning, is that perhaps a decent breeding pair could be put up for raffle for people who were not already breeders to get them started.
As someone who has been kicking around the idea of starting to breed a pair l think that this is probably a bad idea. I think breeding chins is a huge decision and if I won a breeding pair you bet I'd put her in a sexy chinny nightgown and get things going ASAP instead of waiting and buying them when I am ready.

hmm...well, I guess I would assume that anyone buying raffle tickets would be more responsible and know what they are getting into. But I understand what you are saying, from this forum I hear about irresponsible breeding. However, I would hope that if a newbie is interested enough to learn lots on this forum and go to a show, they are responsible enough to know what they are getting into and breed so responsibly.

Please also remember that even experienced breeders want to improve their herds. I have been breeding chins for 10 yrs now and I am still looking to improve my herd. I entered the raffle myself, hoping to win the breeding pair. Again, to try to improve my herd. Sure I was disappointed that I didn't win them but at the same time was happy for Sarah who did win. It's like gambling, sometimes you win but always be prepared to lose.

Last edited:
Back