Weight Loss?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

We have had our chinchilla for about four years. Just recently we lost our older chinchilla, who was his best friend. He has seemed very sad since her death. He seems to be eating well and he is still pooping but he is losing weight. He seems much more fragile and we put him on the scale to see that he has definitely shed some weight. Could depression be affecting him by weight loss? If anyone could help that would be great. We have never had this happen before and don't know what it could be.

Losing a cagemate definitely can cause issues with a chin losing weight! It puts a lot of stress on a chinchilla when a friend dies, that releases stress hormones and causes upheaval in the chin's body leading to the chin not feeling well. Weight loss and a depressed mood definitely are common in chins that lose cagemates.

Right now your chin is eating, so that's a good sign. You need to give him more attention and love for awhile. Some older chins do pretty well with getting a new friend since they are so used to having companionship. I often pair up chins that have lost cagemates so they feel better.

Recently I had a little guy lose his friend. He didn't look right maybe three weeks after his buddy died. As soon as I put in another little old male with him, he started gaining weight and it appeared he was in a much happier mood. I don't know if that would work for your chin since he was used to being around a female...but you could try getting him a male companion. He's older so it may be easier to introduce him to an older male.

Back