Water Bottle Size

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

On average, how much does 1 chinchilla drink per day? And what size water bottle should I get?

i have a 8 oz lixit glass water bottle its the best bottle i have and i tried several he drinks about half of it in a 24 hour period

I have the 12 oz super pet glass bottles but they might only drink like a 1/4 of the water in 24 hours so I think an 8 oz bottle would be plenty big enough.

I like to use a wide mouth 16 oz. bottle, because I know that will last at least 24 hours for a breeding pair and the wide mouth and height of that size make it easier to scrub out to clean with a baby bottle brush. I also found cleaning brushes the size of a pipe cleaner to clean the nozzles at amazon.com. I sanitize them in the dishwasher after scrubbing, but putting them in the dishwasher alone does not remove the film that can accumulate in them.

T650878_57392

^^
Thats what i use. I have the bigger one for my ferrets, and each chin cage has two of the smaller ones, since there are multiple chins.

p-72283-59607.jpg

I tried one of these lixit bottles before and it was an abysmal failure. Aside from chins not using them, the construction of them is horrible. Plastic bottle. The spring alone can not hold the bottle up, so all the weight rest souly on the nozzle. The cap doesn't screw on well. Due to its shape and size you cant sit it up right on a surface, it will just fall over. And since the lid is so poor, when it falls over all the water will come out the sides of the cap. Even if its screwed on all the way. I do not recommend these. (They are also highly expensive here)

Back