water bath tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
looking for tips on how to give a water bath to my poor chinnie Tripp.

has anyone done it before? i know to blow dry him dry (on the cool, low setting). i'm worried i wont get him dry enough. how long should i expect to be blow drying him?

can i use johnsons' baby shampoo? ive used it on my guinea pigs before and know its gentle for them.

(tripp has his underside/bottom covered with urine stains and mats due to a combo of neurological problems and seizures. ive tried other options to clean his fur, with no real results.)

I did one when I was hand feeding. I would give her a bath in the kiitchen sink. I used dawn dish soap diluted in water 1st. Rinse, then blow dried. When I blow dried she would sit on my lap which made it easy. I held the dryer about 4" away then with the other hand rub the fur in a motion movement with the index finger & thumb.

In addition to what Snickers said (which is VERY sound advice) as the problem is the underside only I would not submerge the chinchilla. Try and have him stand on his hind legs, supporting his front off the ground with your hand...and pour water on his underside only. Trust me, it's going to be time consuming enough drying one side let along a whole chinny. Best of luck and sorry your poor boy was ill.

Back