Wanting to sell some extra hay, don't know where to start.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinTheSmallAndFurry

I have a 40lb bag of Standlee Cubed Timothy hay that came with my chins (which I got in early April). I think about a third of the bag has been used (some was eaten before I adopted them), and as I've read on here, this hay will last FORever.

I don't know how much to keep for my chins (I have two chins under 6 months of age), so if someone could help me out with that, I would very much appreciate it. :hug2:

And whatever I don't need I will definitely be selling to whomever is interested. :thumbsup:

I would definetely be interested in possibly getting what you dont decide to keep. It sort of depends on how you store it, because that will determine how long it stays good, and how long it still has some sort of nutritional value. I have 100 chinchillas, so I go through a 50 lb bag of alfalfa cubes sort of fast, and they only get it when there cages are cleaned. I'd say it takes at least 3 months for me to get through the 50 lb bag with 100 chinchillas. Hopefully some others can give some imput on this :)

you can post an add for it in the classified section under, "supplies for sale" or ask a moderator to move this thread to that section :thumbsup:

you can post an add for it in the classified section under, "supplies for sale" or ask a moderator to move this thread to that section :thumbsup:

I was going to do that, once I'd figured out how much to keep, and how much to sell it for, :) I just thought it'd be better to get clarification here before I busy up the classifieds board, :D

Last edited:
I would definetely be interested in possibly getting what you dont decide to keep. It sort of depends on how you store it, because that will determine how long it stays good, and how long it still has some sort of nutritional value. I have 100 chinchillas, so I go through a 50 lb bag of alfalfa cubes sort of fast, and they only get it when there cages are cleaned. I'd say it takes at least 3 months for me to get through the 50 lb bag with 100 chinchillas. Hopefully some others can give some imput on this :)

It's all still in the bag, though I have been leaving the bag open--just easier to get hay out that way.....

Okay, I see :) I keep mine in a bin, so it avoids moisture (so no molding), and so it stay relatively fresh and mostly still keeps its nutritional values.

Probably not, but also depends on the humidity in the room too. But if it's in a bag, it should be fine. :)

Probably not, but also depends on the humidity in the room too. But if it's in a bag, it should be fine. :)

We have the bag in the same room as the chins, so we try to keep the humidity down as much as possible. That said, it still smells amazing.....wondering if the smell is any indicator of still-freshness?

Yes, the smell does still inticate freshness. If you ever get the hay from the pet store, it doesn't smell that much and one of the people from Kleenmama's Hayloft told me that most pet stores' hay is at least 2yrs old and is usually
1st cut. The way you are keeping it is probably fine. :)

I have a 40lb bag of Standlee Cubed Timothy hay that came with my chins (which I got in early April). I think about a third of the bag has been used (some was eaten before I adopted them), and as I've read on here, this hay will last FORever.

I don't know how much to keep for my chins (I have two chins under 6 months of age), so if someone could help me out with that, I would very much appreciate it. :hug2:

Like you mentioned the hay will last for a long time, but it's understandable that you might not want to store 40lbs for awhile. When I had just 2 chins I was using about 5lbs a month on average. I change my hay out twice a day. I hope that helps you determine how much to keep. :)

Like you mentioned the hay will last for a long time, but it's understandable that you might not want to store 40lbs for awhile. When I had just 2 chins I was using about 5lbs a month on average. I change my hay out twice a day. I hope that helps you determine how much to keep. :)

Yes, thank you! However, I am curious...you said you change hay out twice a day? Do you mean put in new hay twice a day? I generally put in three or four cubes with each chin and that will last three or four days. :confused:

I feed loose hay, and give them a fresh handful for breakfast and dinner. They waste a lot, but once they've thrown the reject hay on the ground they won't touch it again.

You may want to consider giving them a combination of loose hay and cubes. The loose strands have great texture for grinding down the back molars.

Mine do throw a lot of the hay down, but oftentimes they pick up some of the discarded pieces and eat it ..... :unsure:

I read a thread on here several weeks ago that discussed which hay was best, and a number of people said whichever the chin will eat. Since the cubed hay came with my guys, I'm going to keep giving that, but when it's gone I may switch to loose. Thanks for the feedback, though. :)

Back