Vibrating when I hold him?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydneytaylorr

Hello! I'm a proud new owner of my velvet chinchilla Mickey. :) I purchased him from a lady who was selling him to downsize her number of pets. He's been great so far, I did tons of research and read for hours on this forum, this forum has completely saved me! I'm so glad I found it! anyhoo! He's been healthy, I can pet him no problem, he's about 2 years old, and he's quite energetic! So I picked up for the first time today! :) It went pretty well! He didn't seem angry at me or anything, but I noticed he started to vibrate?! I was wondering if this was normal? Maybe because he's nervous? Or is this something I should be very worried about? Thanks!

He was scared and shaking. You're this new person in this new house, it can be scary for a little guy! Jasper did that for a week and half or so after we got him anytime we put our hand near him. Best to let him relax a bit, let him come to you. I started to try and pick my older boy, Woodrow, up when he started jumping on me and playtime, I knew then he was getting comfortable with me.

I have a bv female that shakes sometimes when I hold her. I am not sure if she just does this because she is nervous. All her babies do not show signs of this. She is also the only one that sprays too.

He was scared and shaking. You're this new person in this new house, it can be scary for a little guy! Jasper did that for a week and half or so after we got him anytime we put our hand near him. Best to let him relax a bit, let him come to you. I started to try and pick my older boy, Woodrow, up when he started jumping on me and playtime, I knew then he was getting comfortable with me.

Yeah I kind of figured that! I just had to make sure, I'm already so in love with my little guy. :) thank you for the kind response! and your chilla's sound simply lovely. :)

We have had Charger for 3 years and he still does it..he just hates being held. Other than health checks (hair ring, teeth, feet, etc etc) we try not to hold him or pick him up because he gets so stressed out. We did the whole try to handle him to get him used to it thing for a year and a half and he never got used to it. We let him be because its not worth stressing him out to that extent : (

He despises us for health checks!

This all sounds daunting sorry...Just be patient and give him time...he will probably settle in just fine.

my first guy hates to be picked up. He was fully grow by the time i took him in, and iv had him for 5~ years. And if you do manage to pick him up, he will still shake and vibrate.

My one does the same thing! Just nerves, I think! Sometimes she does "vibrate" and other times she doesn't care what I do! Silly critters!

Glad you're enjoying him!! :)

I got my first chinnie pebbles around 6 months old, shes almost 8 now. very friendly and loveable but hates to be held and picked up.. she also shakes and vibrates.. so i dont pick her up.

I have a 5 year old female here that does that. She was born here and has never been mistreated. She loves being petted and scratched and will climb into your hands to get picked up. Her favorite thing to do is run around on the floor and I think she is using the shaking to convince us to let her get down. We call it the deer in the headlights look.

I have noticed that only my beige chins, and one PW female (who would carry the beige gene of course) do this here at my house. It is weird, they will vibrate slightly and kind of move their head back and forth when being held, after about 30 seconds or so it settles down. I have always wondered if it had something to do with beiges - they seem nervous when first picked up but are typically cuddlebugs after those first few seconds.

I have noticed that only my beige chins, and one PW female (who would carry the beige gene of course) do this here at my house. It is weird, they will vibrate slightly and kind of move their head back and forth when being held, after about 30 seconds or so it settles down. I have always wondered if it had something to do with beiges - they seem nervous when first picked up but are typically cuddlebugs after those first few seconds.

Yeah! He shakes his head back and fourth, except my chinnie is a black velvet! But whenever he did it I felt terrible as if he was terrified so I instantly put him down, but you said that it settles down afterwards? Should I just continue to hold him for a minute to see if he stops?

Back