Vacuum Packaging Hay or Pellets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillachris

Student of my chinchillas
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to vacuum package their hay and/or pellets for long term preservation and storage? I own a Food Saver vacuum package machine, it's kind of like this one: http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V22...TF8&qid=1390254912&sr=8-1&keywords=food+saver, except mine's an older model. I thought that vacuum packaging may be helpful in preserving food and hay long term, but I wasn't sure if it really would be beneficial (do pellets or hay still spoil even when stored in zero oxygen?) I also thought that it would be helpful in protecting hay and food from mold and moisture? I'm just curious about the topic. What do you guys think, do you think that vacuum packaging could really preserve food and/or hay for extended periods of time, or do you think there is no difference between vacuum packaging, and storing food in a regular Ziploc? Thanks!

Hay and pellets do not spoil. They can go years without growing any mold or anything. The nutrients do break down though. After 4-5 months the fat soluble vitamins in hay break down but they are added to pellets. After 1 year the fiber in hay starts to break down. It's best not to use hay over 1 year old. I'm not sure vacuum packaging would stop that. You also might be sealing moisture in to the bags instead of out of. A sealed bag not kept cool and dark often develops moisture along the edges. Usually it's suggested to keep hay in something that breathes like a cardboard box. You can freeze pellets if you have the freezer space and they'll be good a little longer but you have to watch the thawing process to make sure it hasn't picked up too much ice from the freezer which could lead to mold.

I wouldn't pack up the hay in an airtight container since it will probably mold if you do. As for the pellets...the best thing to do is get pellets every two to three months and get it as fresh as possible. Vacuum packing it won't keep the pellets from going stale necessarily, it will keep them fresher for maybe a month or so longer. I was always told to use up my food before it's about four to five months old and not worry about preserving it in a freezer, fridge or other means.

With the hay...it definitely needs to breathe, I'd be very nervous about vacuum packing it.

Thanks guys! It looks like my assumptions were wrong lol! I'll stick to storing everything in the bag/box it came in :)

Back