Using Poplar

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zach

I read here that poplar is a suitable wood for chins. Before I put it in the habitat do I need to scrub and bake it?

If it is from a pesticide free tree, then you need to scrub, bake and boil it. If it is from a store like Home Depot then it is fine as is. Poplar, Aspen, and Pine can all be found at those type of stores, my chins LOVE aspen and poplar.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The poplar was bought at Home Depot. I've been making some shelves, a house, and a little daybed. I just wasn't sure how I needed to "treat" the wood. I put everything together using wooden dowels and Elmer's wood glue (which I read here was safe to use).

My wife and I are getting ready for our first chin and I want to make sure everything is ready when we get it. I've been reading threads here non-stop and I think I may be acting a little over-cautious but I don't want to make any mistakes.

So, the poplar from Home Depot should be good as-is? Easy enough.

It's great to see people doing their "homework" before buying!
Quite often they're not prepared on a "impulse buy" and panic when things go wrong!
Welcome to C+H, congratulations on your chin decision, and "kudos" for your preparation!

Thanks Rick. I saw my first chinchilla last year at a pet store near our home. We often stopped by to pick up prescriptions for our dogs and I'd always go check out how the chin was doing. After I started doing some research I realized that the chin there needed rescue. They had him in an aquarium with only a little half log (no toys, chews, nothing). I know most people say to stay away from pet stores and buy only from a breeder but I really wanted to "rescue" that chin from the aquarium. I went by there this weekend and he was gone. One lady told my wife that he got sick... another lady told me that they had sold it. I'm guessing it probably died.

So now we're looking for a reputable breeder in our area and in the meantime we are getting everything ready. I'm having a blast doing all the woodwork.

Just for an FYI there is a chinchilla rescue in LA, and a great breeder.

Rescue:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/LA206.html
Animals they have for adoption:
http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?shelterid=LA206

Breeder:
http://www.sunsetchinchillas.com/

NOLA Chinchillas (the Rescue) and Sunset Chinchillas (the Breeder) are both members here as well. Sunset Chinchillas goes by "Spoof".

As for the actual question, from every list I have found for chinchilla safe woods that had Poplar listed, it is a safe wood. Most people use KD Pine, but that's probably because it's more reasonable. :p If I am wrong here, please someone tell me so. I am soley going off the "safe wood" lists I have seen.

I sent Sunset Chinchillas (Spoof) an email this morning. I know my wife had mentioned something about NOLA rescue and I think she looked at their website... I'll check it out now.

As for the wood, I just like the way poplar looks compared to kd pine. As long as it's safe I guess it's just personal preference.

Thanks, Essentia.

Suppose it would help if I actually checked my emails, huh?

Stitchishisname - from Hammond had their boy up for adoption, cage, supplies and all. I'll email you her information.

Pretty much any "white wood" you get from Lowe's or Home Depot is going to be ok.

Thanks for the email, Spoof. I just contacted the lady in Hammond about Stitch. I also sent you a reply. I'm sure one way or the other I'll end up coming to visit you... we haven't even gotten chin #1 and my wife already wants another one for her birthday.

lol, the chin bug even before getting a chin! You're in trouble :p Good luck in finding a chinnie. Maybe consider getting an already established pair of males or females if you are considering another one already. Intros can be difficult, and they may never work out, so getting an establised pair may be a good option for you. :)

I hope your little one doesn't like poplar as much as mine. I made her some things out of poplar, and she has just about chewed it down to nothing. lol I use pine for shelves and ledges since she doesn't chew pine (I guess it doesn't taste as good hahaha). I bought the poplar from Home Depot too, and I didn't have to bake/scrub it btw. :))

Glad someone asked this question too. My boyfriend had asked me if we could make shelves and ledges ourselves, so this answers our questions! Thanks Zach!! Good luck getting your chin....I have been doing the same thing, reading all I can about them. I plan on adopting a male next month. Good luck to you and your wife :)

My poplar shelves seem to last longer than the KD pine shelves did. Poplar just seems to be a harder wood than pine.

My poplar shelves seem to last longer than the KD pine shelves did. Poplar just seems to be a harder wood than pine.

I think so too. I made a ladder out of poplar and it outlasted the pine houses by quite some time! Or maybe it was just not as easy for them to get to. Anyway, I just like the variety of woods to make stuff for them, they love aspen!

Poplar

I just did a complete cage build with Poplar for my chin. Also built ledges, a food bowl, a house, a platform for granite, and a dust bath with poplar. From what I saw poplar was less expensive than kiln dried pine so it made more sense to use it. It is a hard wood however and can split easily if nailing things together. Cage looks amazing and is much larger than previous one. I would do it again in a heartbeat and still use poplar. Hope it helps.

Back