Use of Tile and Peeing on Shelves?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

Question #1-I recently came home to my parents from college for a few weeks before classes start, as I got my tonsils out, but while I was home they remodeled their house and had tons of extra tiles (every shape, color, and size). I was ecstatic because I've been wanting to try tile in the girls' cage for sometime. What is the best way to go about this? Just line up tile in the middle, put it on the shelves with velcro, line the entire floor? Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated! As a college student, I'm looking for simple, quick cleaning solutions as I have nursing classes and clinicals that go all week for most of the day and I hate when the girls' start smelling.

Question #2- Maisie, my older chin (8 years), has recently decided this one shelf is her place to pee, and then she poos on it causing this massive blob on yucky pee and poo stuck together. It smells horrible and when i go to wipe it off, it's just this massive sticky gooey blob that doesn't come off very well and stains the shelves. It got so bad I had to throw away a shelf and order new ones. I don't want the new ones ruined. Is there anything to prevent this? Or is there something safe to coat the shelves to protect the wood? At one point she used to be litter trained and for a good 6 years she would always go in the litter pan. Is this a sign of old age? Maybe urinary problems? The pee is still normal yellow color, not too dark. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I just thought about this with the tile on the bottom of the cage... If they pee on it, will it make the tile get slippery and with them jumping, could it cause injuries?

I thought about doing that with 2 of the cages I have.

Putting tile down to cover the floor completely. I was just going to line the tiles up evenly along the floor of the cage, then put a litter pan in the cage.
This didn't work out like I hoped since they aren't litter pan trained just yet. Right now one uses shavings and the other cage uses fleece. With my trio it wont work because the twins just dont understand the whole litter pan. they think its a toy.

Back