Under Tank Heaters?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emzy08

i'm home for the summer, and its seattle so its not really summer. my mother doesn't enjoy keeping the house very warm so i'm getting an undertank heater for little marcel. hes been doing fine, but i wanna give him some extra warmth under his igloo.

my only hesitancy is that his cage is on the floor, so the tank heater would be against carpet. is that a fire hazard? i don't know much about them.

or, could i put it under the first layer of fleece on the inside of his tank? he never burrows (he's blind) and he has extra fleece within his igloo that he snuggles with.

any suggestions would be nice!
thanks

I'm from the chin side, but we have snakes. We use under tank heaters. I would not recommend then on carpet, or fabric. You want the heater under the cage,tank, container he is in, and have it on a stand of some sort.

I dont think its a good idea to put it on the carpet just in case, putting it into his tank under fleece may work - I am not sure I've never used something like that or a tank and I would be concerned it could burn your hedgie or potentially light the fleece on fire.

I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter - they keep the area really warm, can be hooked up to a thermostat so they only turn on when needed and are a lot safer. They don't emit light, so they won't interrupt sleep/play cycles.

Hope that helps!

the ceramic heat emitters are a lot more expensive, so i was avoiding those.. i'm a poor college student!

Back