twitching shivering and shaking head when picked up

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been syringe feeding my chin for about 2 weeks since she doesnt want to eat her pellets yet after her foot injury. today at 12p i thought it was just a one time thing when she shivered and shook her head when i picked her up to feed her. now at 3 i picked her up and she did it again.. its not cold (or hot) in my room, so she cant be shivering from being cold. and when i grab her, first i wake her up calmly so i doubt its because shes scared.. so what could it be?
btw i am taking her to the vet tomorrow, monday, to get rebandaged but i am worried about these weird symptoms..

here is a video of it... http://videobam.com/fjGxt

I can't get your video to open without downloading another app. But I think most of us would agree that taking her to the vet tomorrow, or even tonight if you have an emergency vet available, is the best thing to do. I wouldn't want to take a chance with my little one.

She looks like she's having trouble breathing too. Does she sound raspy when she breathes? She could have developed a URI from accidentally aspirating the food while being syringe fed. I would try to get her in today if you can.

unfortunately its hard to find a vet that i trust, because i've had bad luck with a couple. the vet i recently started taking her to is great, so i think im waiting til the morning. she doesnt sound raspy or breathes differently than before she started twitching. the weird thing is that in her cage, shes perfectly fine, but when i want to feed her she starts twitching. when i feed her again at around 7, im going to put her next to me in the bed, to keep her a little warm, because im thinking she may be getting a cold from when i feed her and the criticalcare gets under her chin onto her chest. also, when i wipe her with a baby wipe to clean her up (which she doesnt like) the baby wipe leaves her fur wet..
http://videobam.com/fjGxt

URI = Upper Respiratory Infection. If that is suspected, it's important to catch it quickly before it turns into pneumonia.

Was she put under for something? You said bandage. URI or pneumonia is a very common risk with putting anything down.

Otherwise I'd possibly suspect infection depending on what the bandage is for...

Back