Trouble With Potty Training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayofhope

Hi! I've tried a lot of different tactics for potty training. My chin's potty pan is huge, I've moved it around to different spots she pees at, but then she just pees somewhere else... There are two or three different spots, and it seems like when she does pee in the dish, it's by chance. Sometimes she even pees right beside the dish. I have also put some used pine shavings in the dish, but it's not too dirty, either.

Is there any hope in getting her completely potty trained? Anything else I can do? Do I need 2-3 potty pans in there or something? :l

Thanks in advance.:)

I would put in a few more in the spots she pees in and after a while try to eliminate one at a time and see if she gets it.

I would suggest blocking corners off with her food bowl, water, and house (or whatever she sleeps on). Small animals generally wont pee where they eat, drimk, or sleep. So put her water in one corner, food in the other, and sleeping in the other.

I agree with the others. Put her pan in her favorite pee corner - make sure there is soiled bedding/litter for her to know this is where she is to go - and block the other corners.

I don't know... I say if you want to litter box train something, get a cat!

Cats are definitely easier to litter train! :hmm: haha!

Small animals generally wont pee where they eat, drimk, or sleep. So put her water in one corner, food in the other, and sleeping in the other.

I guess my chinchilla is out of the ordinary, then... I find pee right beside/under her food dish all of the time, no matter where it is. :l

I would put in a few more in the spots she pees in and after a while try to eliminate one at a time and see if she gets it.

That's the trouble -- she hardly seems to have a favorite spot, it seems to be anywhere.

make sure there is soiled bedding/litter for her to know this is where she is to go

There is. :)

Any other ideas, or am I pretty much stuck?

some chins just won't litter train, and you seem to be one of the lucky humans with a chin like this. lol!

when i didn't have fleece liners and my chins were on a bare metal cage bottom (metal pan), i found they were very faithful to their litter bowls. guess they didn't want pee puddles in their cage. now that i have fleece, they are 50/50 about using the litter bowl.

you could try not using a fleece liner, if your cage is a solid metal bottom, or you could tile the bottom of your cage. may be a solution, like what i said about my boys not peeing anywhere but in the litter bowl before i obtained my quasi fleece addiction, lol.

That makes perfect sense! The noise of peeing on metal is probably pretty alarming, too! I'll have to try that, thanks for the tip! :) I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get around to trying it (soon).

And if anyone has any other thoughts/tips/ideas, feel free to keep posting.
Thanks again, and I'll let you guys know asap!

:)

What are you washing your fleece with? Maybe the fleece still smells like pee to your chin and therefore they see it still as a pee spot. One of the detergants my parents use to use I swear smelled just like cat pee and apparently the cat thought so too at the time.

Back