Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldritch

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some good treats to give my chins, but more importantly, how often should I be giving them? I've been using raisins to help get them used to me and now they will jump straight into my hands and climb all over me. I know that in large quantities raisins can be really bad for them so I've been very wary about giving them too many, so can anyone suggest anything that I can give to them more frequently?

I've seen a lot of treats in the pet shops (things like yoghurt drops) but I've always thought they wouldn't be very good for them. I did try a pack of different flavoured dried leafs which have gone down well, but I don't know how often I should be giving them either as the packet doesn't say.

Thank you!

Treats should be given at most one treat a day, ideally only a couple times a week. Raisins are very bad for chins, chins shouldn't have any fruits, veggies, animal products (dairy, eggs, hide, bone, meat, etc), and nothing with added sugar, they can't properly digest those things. So yeah, those yogurt drops are a big no no.

Good treats include, rosehips, rose petals (and blossoms), plain cheerios, shredded wheat (small piece), a pinch of old fashion oats, and also some herbs (Fuzzies Kingdom has good selection to give you an idea) in small pinches.

Also in addition to food treats chins can have unlimited sticks, if you use twigs they can be like a treat to a chin, also a different kind of hay then you normally offer can also be used, hand them strands, or a specific part of the hay, some love seed heads for example, like you would a treat without worry of giving too much or too often.

My chin likes rolled oats or oat groats with the green hull, rose hips, and apple blossoms which she gets a few of one of them a day. She also loves Apple twigs and gets one daily.

Back