Treat questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chins4life089

Hi I was browsing Youtube for treat ideas for my upcoming chins and I found one that I am not sure about so I am coming to you the link for the video will be below but let me give u the story this laby owns I think 2 hamster now but I don't know when that video was made but anyway she made a treat the had Flour, Oat, Water and treats of your choice ( she used dried blueberries) the recipe is 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of Porridge oats, 1/2 cup of treats. In the video she iced them with a hamster safe stuff but I will leave that off if the treat itself is ok for a chin. All I need to know is if the treat is small portions is safe for chinchillas and also some safe treats for chinchillas like dehydrated goji berries stuff like that.

Also she makes toys and one she made was a hanging walnut shell toy. It was made by splitting a walnut and getting out the nut and using the shell by putting a hole in the top and feeding string through and hanging it and if u wanted u could put treats in the shell for a little surprise. I can't really be clear on something and some of it doesn't make since because it is hard to explain if u have questions watch the video below and please watch both the videos completely through and most likely it will answer you questions. Also I need to know if walnut shell is safe for chinchilla consumption. and thanks for your answers.

Link For Treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tt8MgpR-5o

Link For The Toy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VstLswwLWGk

I'd say no to both treat ideas, chins may be rodents but they are nothing like a hamster, or any other rodent really. Chins should not have any fruits, vegetables, nuts, dairy, or any animal product, they are a pretty strict grass herbivore so anything other then that can run the risk of digestive upset. Those first treats would be way too big for a chin, they can have oats, but only a couple oat flakes at a time once per day max, and that being their only treat for the day. Options for treats for chins include, old fashion oats (not quick or minute oats), rose pedals or blossoms, rose hips, a Cheerio, a small piece of a shredded wheat, and some other types of dried flowers and herbs, but not more then one treat per day. The best "treat" for a chin though is a stick, most chins love apple sticks and will happily accept it like a treat, and best of all you can give them unlimited. Just make sure the wood sticks you give are properly processed (cleaned and baked dry) and organic (no pesticides ever), you can't just grab a stick from your yard and pop it in the cage.
I'm not sure about walnut shells, but since the chin shouldn't be eating nuts I'd say no just in case there is any nut meat left inside. Also a walnut shell would be small for a chin and it could break a piece off and swallow it, causing an impaction. A better option for something similar for a hanging toy would be coconut shells.

Back