Traveling Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't sure where to post this. My husband, me, our 2 daughters, 3 dogs, and my 2 new chin boys are gonna be making a trip from Florida to California....yes I have my hands full lol. What can I do to make my boys more comfortable? I would leave them but I don't feel comfortable or trust anyone enough. Can you can Chinchillas Rescue Remedy to keep them calm? What kind of carrier should I use? This is the one I was thinking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Pet-...qid=1353693364&sr=8-6&keywords=ferret+carrier

First, that carrier will last about 15 minutes before they chew through it. Second, it's not ventilated enough and they will most likely overheat.

I would purchase a two hole carrier from Ryerson's or somewhere like that. chinchillas.com has a really nice metal carrier that is all open wire on the top with a solid bottom. It allows for ventilation and movement, but not too much movement, and they can't chew through it. You will also be able to hang water bottles on it when you stop for the night and can offer the chins a drink.

As far as comfort, make sure they have hay and maybe chew stick to munch on for the trip. Keep them out of direct sunlight and be sure your a/c is working for the warmer states you will travel through. Don't put them on the floor. Heat can come up from the bottom of the vehicle and there is little ventilation. If you're driving a mini-van or an SUV that would be different, but if you are in a normal car, stuffing them down between the front seat and the back seat would not be a good idea.

Where are you at in CA? There are some people that could be trusted on here that might watch your chin. Yes, Peggy is right..my Sammy chewed right out of a ordinary plastic dog airline carrier in no time. They will get easily overheated and need to be kept below 72 at all times, even when you are inside eating or shopping. It would be best if you found someone to watch them

I'll be leaving in like 2-3 weeks and won't be back until Jan. I pick them up next week and would rather not leave them with only having them less than a month. Lol I'm over protective of all my babies human and fur. I'm getting a 2 hole carry cage like mentioned and we will be in a mini van so plenty of room. Plus with Christmas coming up I can't afford a sitter.

In case you need to find someone who will watch them, I am in Riverside and I do board chins. I would take care of them as if they were mine and have a vet lined up in case of emergencies. I charge $10 per week.

Ah, I thought you were moving. I would seriously consider the offer of boarding them. Just bringing chins into a new household can be very stressful. Turning around and dragging them across country could make that even worse resulting in many different outcomes including diarrhea, loss of appetite, and not drinking. I would either ask the person you are getting them from to hold onto them until you get back or I would consider the boarding until you return. It would really be better for your chins.

I agree. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon we ended up driving my chins from Vermont to New Jersey so my family could take care of them. Due to the stress of the car ride and new environment, my female stopped eating and got an upper respiratory infection. Luckily we caught it very early. I thought I was doing the right thing by bringing them with us but in the end, it was the a really bad decision. You want to try to avoid as much stress as possible. Our critters are fragile.

Ah, I thought you were moving. I would seriously consider the offer of boarding them. Just bringing chins into a new household can be very stressful. Turning around and dragging them across country could make that even worse resulting in many different outcomes including diarrhea, loss of appetite, and not drinking. I would either ask the person you are getting them from to hold onto them until you get back or I would consider the boarding until you return. It would really be better for your chins.

Back