Toilet paper roll toy issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

I read everywhere on the internet that people constantly look for new and entertaining ways to keep their chins busy.

I read that an empty toilet paper roll can't harm them, so I packed it with timothy and a rozehip in the center. Stuck a twig trough and attached it to the cage.
They like it a lot, they eat the hay, chew the roll (but don't eat the cardboard) and find the treat.

Last night however, while I was at the cage observing them, one of the boys got curious about the last (half inch) thick cardboard ring that was left from the roll... He stuck his head in and got stuck. Luckily I was there and was able to free him from his awkward position.

Since they are still young (2.5 and 4.5 months) their head fits right in, and allthough the cardboard isn't extremely tough (your normal roll) I have no idea if they would be able to get it off by themselves.

Should I get rid of these things and never put them in again? Or is this normal and did i overreact? Your experience / opinion please

We use toilet paper rolls as toss toys/chew toys for our chins... though, for our adult chins only, because of situations like what you mentioned. Babies and really young chins can get their head through the tubes (or part of them anyway) and can get stuck. Adults... not so much. For the younger chins, they get a variety of things to chew, but none that they could get themselves caught in. And once they're big enough to be out-of-danger from toilet paper rolls, they get them back.

I usually just throw em in the cage and let em chew - love your idea of the stuffing it with hay and such. Will definitely have to try that.

Personally I do not think toilet paper rolls are safe for any chinchilla no matter the age/size. First of all, a toilet paper roll sits in your bathroom for at least a week as the toilet paper on it is used. It is therefore exposed to dirty hands and a dirty environment. I just think it's kind of gross to then give this to an animal to chew on. The second reason is because of the glues and such that are used with paper products like these. There is no guarantee that what is used is not harmful to an animal. My third reason is the risk where it comes to cardboard for impaction. It is a paper product and therefore will expand when wet. If a chinchilla eats it this could cause serious problems. The final reason I don't think toilet paper rolls are appropriate for in the cage toys is that cardboard isn't actually a product that wears down teeth. Though they might have fun ripping it to shreads I think wooden products are better as they wear down their teeth.

I have in the past used paper towel rolls which aren't exposed to as many germs as playtime toys. I've also used cardboard boxes and such for this. Since I always watched my chinchilla when he played I saw no risk in having cardboard products. Typically he jumped on them and pushed them around and did not even chew them. If he'd started eating them I'd have seen it immediately and been able to remove it.

While I love the idea of stuffing cardboard tubes with treats I personally would order the tubes from a company that makes them for animals. Bird companies and the like are far less likely to make paper products with toxic glue or anything. These typically harder cardboard tubes also allow for longer enjoyment. With some research I might consider using paper towel rolls for this purpose. It is possible that you could contact the company or research it online to find out what sort of glues are used. Definitely make sure it's too big/small for a chin to get their head stuck in.

Thanks you both for the fast reply.

About the paper rolls being gross; i guess this depends on moral and values or something. In kindergarten 25 years ago we did arts and crafts with those same rolls in combination with other empty boxes to make animals that we painted... These days (my sis in law teaches in one) they can't be used anymore, probably for the same reason you mentioned Lillybabe. Values change and people get more sensitive about these things.

About them not being safe; in a normal household like ours that rolls sits in there for 2 days at max. Ofcourse I am selective; sometimes a roll has gluestains on it. Those rolls are not used and get throws away. Only clean rolls go in.

2lnefj9.jpg

Impaction is something I didn't think about. Thanks for pointing this out. Like I mentioned they don't seem to eat them, just shred it apart an drop it. Ofcourse this is only what i have seen, and the shreds of tube i find in the morning confirmed that. I never puzzled one back together to find out if everything was there, so it's more then possible they do actually swallow some.
I can be wrong, I just think mine experience the tube as a nuissance to get to the timothy and treat, so they need to shred it open and bite it away to get to the good stuff, and I thought this might encourage theur natural behaviour of finding stuff.

I do offer wooden treats and gnawing stones for the teeth grinding, as I stated in the first post I just do this to give them an extra thing to play with and keep them busy.

favuhj.jpg

After I read your post, it gave me an idea and I called a friend of mine who works in a place where they print books. They have paper and shrinkfoil on cardboard roll, the rolls are big and sturdy, 1/4 inch thick and free of glue (the plotter paper and shrink foil aren't glued on the roll apparently). He will bring me a roll for inspection, and maybe this is a better way to go for me.

I use the toilet paper rolls because it is a cheap recyclable toy that Flea loves to shred. I cut it lengthwise and it is usually still strong enough to hold stuff but won't get stuck anywhere.

If you buy the el cheapo paper towels, they have the same basic core, minus any glue, and you can cut it in half for two rolls. Also, it's not exposed to any fecal matter sitting next to your kitchen sink. ;)
Just be SURE you have ones with no glue, and no paper attached.
That being said, the only time I personally use these are for hay holders like mentioned above, in the carrier for a vet trip. So maybe a 30 minute ride each way, and they mostly just nibble the hay and not the tube anyway. It's neater than throwing a handful of hay into the carrier.

Back