Toaster Ovens vs. Oven

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapache315

What can you use a toaster oven for, besides frozen pizzas and toasting things? If it doesn't have "toaster oven" instructions on it, can you still put it in the toaster oven?

I really want to eat these turnovers (Pepperidge Farm) that we have in the freezer, but it only has conventional oven directions. The problem is that we are currently oven-less because the burners or something died in it.

Thanks!

Mappy you are funny... ;) Really, a toaster oven can technically do what a normal, conventional oven can do (also depends on the quality of toaster oven of course). It's only limitation is size, so that's why most people just use it for small things. So if your turnover fits in it, it should be fine.

Last edited:
Heck yeah... toaster ovens are great. I've baked a two layer cake in my toaster oven. One layer at a time, of course. You just can't cook a turkey in there... cornish game hen, maybe. But not a thanksgiving-dinner sized turkey ;)

If it's something that cooks in its own plastic tray thing (whatever that's made out of) it will say on the box if you cannot use a toaster oven.

I miss having a toaster oven! We don't even have a toaster - I've been just using my oven broiler for the last year and a half.

We have a cheapo toaster oven but we still use it a lot and for just about anything that will fit and doesn't say specifically in the directions not to use it. We use it for bagels, garlic bread, chicken nuggets, fries, cookies if we're just doing a few... anything. It's also great in the summer to use to cook things so we don't have to heat up the whole oven, just check the directions to make sure it doesn't specifically say not to use it for that item.

Just curious, what items specifically say not to use a toaster oven? I wonder why?

Something I had that was a Stouffer's frozen entree said not to heat it in a toaster oven. Lasagna, maybe?

Stouffer's doesn't recommend any of their products be put in a toaster oven due to how close the heating element is to the plastic.

Thanks guys! Apparently you shouldn't put puff pastry in a toaster oven because it doesn't puff (but is still delicious!). Does anyone have any favorite toaster oven recipes?

I love making open faced sandwich melts in the toaster oven.
Basically, anything that can fit in your toaster oven is game... I would just keep a better eye on it since items in the toaster oven are closer to the heating elements. Also, I have sort of a shoddy toaster oven at home, so I'm not too comfortable using it to cook items for a long time.

We had a "under the cabinet" one at our last house, but I can't find them anymore. As previously stated, if it fits, it can be cooked in there, just keep an eye on it!
Favorite recipe: 1 can of Hormel chile w/o beans, cream cheese, american slices, shredded cheddar, or mozzeralla cheese - quantity to size of baking dish.
Spread chile - cut slices of cream cheese on top, pushing it in, slices of american to cover, and sprinkle either or both cheddar or mozzeralla on top - 350 for 20-30 min. -just enough to melt together - don't burn!
Eat with tortilla chips while hot, but don't burn your mouth! Enjoy!! Kids love it!
[and I'm not even from Wisconsin!]

Last edited:
Heck yeah... toaster ovens are great. I've baked a two layer cake in my toaster oven. One layer at a time, of course. You just can't cook a turkey in there... cornish game hen, maybe. But not a thanksgiving-dinner sized turkey ;)

Yay! Someone else! I made my 2 layer birthday cake in my toaster oven a few years ago, one layer at a time! I love toaster ovens!!

Back