Ticks on chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
I know that fleas are incapable of living within a chin's dense fur because they would suffocate to death, but are fleas able to? I ask this because I just found a tick on my dog. My dog and my chin don't play together but I leave my room door open when I'm gone, so obviously it's possible that my dog could have entered the room and been close to his cage. Help!

Fleas can live on chins. The fur on the belly is nowhere near as dense as on the back, which gives them a point of entry. If a house has an infestation of fleas, then it's very possible for a chin to have fleas.

I don't think anything can keep a tick off. They get through the thickest furred dogs and into people's hair that is equally thick. Thankfully, you should be able to feel a tick on your chin, where it would be impossible to feel a flea. If you suspect your chin has a tick on it, start searching through the fur with your fingers. I will say that it seems that South Dakota is the tick capital of the world, and I have never had an issue with ticks on the chins even though I have found them numerous times on the dogs, cats, and kids.

plus ticks dont jump, they slowing crawl, so the chances of it falling off your dog and climbing up into the chins cage is pretty slim. but since you only have one it will probably make you more relaxed just to take a quick check.

i think there are threads for treating a chin for fleas. you would first need to remove the chins from the area they are in and make sure the room is bombed and flea free before they are returned. i would consult with a professional on the treating of fleas on the pet. and would only do so if you actually saw fleas on them.

I don't suspect my chin has any ticks at all, it's just that I'm a bit alarmed that my dog might have somehow passed them on or something. But I've given my dog a full body check three times and I've already seen one which I've disposed of already. I don't think my chin has one at all, I've checked him too, I just wanted to know if it was possible. Thanks everyone

You cannot treat your chin for fleas--you have to treat your house for fleas in order to get rid of them. They are not like dogs or cats and cannot and shouldn't received flea treatment to their skin like dogs and cats. While it is true fleas can burrough on a chins tail, leg and paw hair and belly hair it is incredibly rare.

plus ticks dont jump, they slowing crawl, so the chances of it falling off your dog and climbing up into the chins cage is pretty slim. but since you only have one it will probably make you more relaxed just to take a quick check.

i think there are threads for treating a chin for fleas. you would first need to remove the chins from the area they are in and make sure the room is bombed and flea free before they are returned. i would consult with a professional on the treating of fleas on the pet. and would only do so if you actually saw fleas on them.

I don't suspect my chin has any fleas either. None of my pets have fleas at all haha sorry for the miscommunication.

Back