Thoughts & prayers for Smudge please.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man stacie! I didnt know what these pictures were on fb cause i havent seen this thread...I hope everything turns out well for smudge. Rough month with the chins for a lot of ppl :(

Thats great news Stacie! Smudge is a the toughest dude I know, I mean chinnie I know, LOL! Still sending positive thoughts and prayers for you both.

Thought I would let everyone know what Angie said-

No enemas, no barium studies, no surgery.

I do not recommend enemas or giving any type of oil/etc. orally to chins. All this will do is create problems. What were your chin's original symptoms? Do you have any idea what the object could be? How is he doing now?
I don't think a barium study will help in this case because you already know something is there and that it is in the cecum. I would retake an x-ray first and see if it has moved. I would treat him based on his symptoms and NEVER do surgery. I look forward to hearing how he is doing!!

I really think that as long as he is starting to eat on his own and continues to improve, I would leave the object there. It may pass or stay forever which might cause him to have some off and on bouts of this that you have to treat with force feeding and meds. I think that if you try to remove it or try to force it to pass, it will be worse for him. Definitely email me the newest x-rays when you get them!

I am going to the vet today to pick up more sub-q fluids and we may just get x-rays today instead of tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Smudge had some awesome poos while we were at the vet! At least 20, and they actually looked like chin poos- not full size, but a lot larger than what he's been having. Plus, they weren't rock hard! Instead of stressing him out with more x-rays, we are going to let him rest a few days and see if these poops continue to improve. We would've taken the pictures today, but he was starting to breath pretty hard and getting pretty warm so we decided to put them off since his poos looked so good.

I got more fluids, so until then, he will continue getting his fluids, CC and his meds.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Go Smudgie! And good job Stackie on all your hard work and determination with your little guy! Sending more healing thoughts and hugs your way!

that is great news.

got a question: did the vet or does anyone here know if you will be able to see what was caught(in this case the plastic) in their poop?

I know when I had my Golden Retriever he would munch on my sons plastic colored mega blocks and i would find bits of red, green & yellow in his poop.

just wondering if we would be able to see something pass thru or not.

Since it is not digestable, if he does pass it, I should be able to find it. It's basically a scavenger hunt for a little piece of plastic or whatever it is that he ingested, though.

Since it is not digestable, if he does pass it, I should be able to find it. It's basically a scavenger hunt for a little piece of plastic or whatever it is that he ingested, though.

I had to go on a "scavenger hunt" when Tori swallowed a button battery. We had to feed her a high fiber diet, and check her poo with a popsicle stick to be sure she passed it. Not fun.:vomit: At least chin poo will be less stinky to check than human poo. That had to be one of the grossest "mom duties" I ever had to do.

That is assuming he doesn't eat it again before you find it! I totally know mine would do that. Glad Smudge is improving!

Latest posts

Back