This chin is driving me insane!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky12883

Alright, this is gonna be kinda long, so please bear with me.
We've had Zoidberg and Rufus (father and son) in the same cage together for 3 years. That was until about 2 weeks ago. We rescued another male chin in August Dale Earnhardt. The three were never housed together, and never intended to be. They did get playtime together though and there were no major issues. Rufus was always the dominant one in their cage, and Dale was definitely second in command during playtimes. So for about 2 and a half months they all had playtimes together no problem. There was some strange behavior coming from Rufus though. He would sit in the corner of the cage and call to Dale (who never responded because he's deaf) and he started to pee anywhere but in the potty dish. He isn't peeing any more than normal though.

So up to 2 weeks ago, they came out had playtime, cages got cleaned, everyone went back to their cage. That lasted for about 3 minutes and Rufus was attacking Zoidberg! Fur started flying, my fiance opened the cage to grab which ever one he could, and Zoid jumped into his arms and was shaking. We separated them for the night, Zoid spent the night in Dale's cage and Rufus was by himself. We got up the next day and put Zoid back into his cage with Rufus and they seemed fine. The next night after playtime they started to fight again, and Dale was not having Zoid in his cage again. It was either the carrier or put Dale in with Rufus. We put Dale in with Rufus and Zoid by himself. They have been like that ever since.

Rufus still makes a ton more noise than he ever used to, the only thing I can compare it to is the noises he made when he was a baby, like cooing almost. Rufus and Dale are getting along very well, too well actually! The both think the other is their girlfriend and they are pretty gross about it. They have had a lot of dust baths the last 2 weeks. I know that they are definitely both boys, we did hair ring checks the other night because of all the humping (and actually found one on each). Rufus is still also peeing all over the place, and has Dale doing it now too.

Well, this has gotten far longer than I though. Basically my questions are, why won't Rufus shut up (he's cooing to Dale almost constantly) and why is he peeing all over (on chillers, on the shelves, in the food bowl, in their super awesome house from Christine)?

I have no personal experience, but maybe he keeps calling because Dale's not responding?

That's what I keep thinking too, but Dale's never going to respond. I have no idea how to make Rufus understand that.

No, don't give him a treat for that, he will call 24/7 then wanting a treat. He is lonely I would guess, give everyone extra time and love

I think it's mostly that Dale doesn't respond to him. Rufus doesn't seem lonely at all, him and Dale cuddle together for most of the day and they play together at night. We are constantly around and talking to them and playing with them at night too. Rufus makes noises constantly for about 2-3 hours every night. I'm at a loss as to why, other than Dale never responding to him. We basically just try to ignore him, but the chins are in the living room where we spend most of our time.

Can Rufus see the other 2? Or is he just "calling into the void" so to speak? Perhaps moving them closer so he isn't so lonely?

Rufus and Dale are in the same cage and Zoid's cage is right next to theirs. Rufus is definitely not lonely. This is where Rufus (mosaic) and Dale (BV) have taken to sleeping, the absolute smallest ledge in their cage.:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMAG1207.jpg
    IMAG1207.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
Back