The Zoo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayofhope

What are your thoughts on zoos? Obviously, we're all animal lovers here, so what do you think?

Honestly, I don't think they're very good. I mean, I think some animals belong in cages (like chinchillas lol),. But that's when someone cares for and love and spoils it. Most of the animals in zoos probably don't get that attention (and most wouldn't want to, either.) And a lot of the time, most of them don't seem very happy.

I don't know. I know there are some exceptions when the animals are well taken care of, happy, rescues, etc. But it just seems to me like zoos are much more for the human's enjoyment than the animals'. But maybe I'm just ignorant?

What do you think? Is an animal better off free, or in a zoo?

Animals are better off free, but zoos are an important tool in educating people about animals. People can read books all day, but seeing the animals in person is a wholly different experience.
The Memphis zoo, near me, has pretty large exhibits for its large animals.

They are also important for animal conservation. Zoos participate with each other in worldwide breeding programs to keep animals from extinction.

I'm with you, DayOfHope. I'm not a big fan of zoos in general myself. Now when it comes to preserving certain species from extinction, hey, whatever you can do! But, having said that, I know a lot of animal preservations (that are non-profit) seem to have better conditions for their animals than a lot of zoos.

Consider Sea World, for example. How many deaths have resulted from the killer whales there? The tricks are for the humans' benefit, hands down. These are not agility and K-9 police dogs we're talking about. Besides that, the tanks they keep those whales in are notoriously too small. And....killer whales and the like are not anywhere close to extinction.

I will say that bottlenose dolphins seem to enjoy the human interactions. But that's just a layman's observation. As someone pointed out to me, if you want to see those kinds of animals, pay the money to visit them in their natural habitats--like people that go on boating expeditions--or, as I mentioned before, visit animal preservation societies, where you know the money is invested in their well-being.

I find circuses to be no better, but that's a whole nother story.

Consider Sea World, for example. How many deaths have resulted from the killer whales there? The tricks are for the humans' benefit, hands down. These are not agility and K-9 police dogs we're talking about. Besides that, the tanks they keep those whales in are notoriously too small. And....killer whales and the like are not anywhere close to extinction.

Orcas are actually classified as a threatened species are on the endangered species list- but again, without up-close interaction with the animals, people do not realize their value, so zoos and exhibits have a place.

Orcas are actually classified as a threatened species are on the endangered species list- but again, without up-close interaction with the animals, people do not realize their value, so zoos and exhibits have a place.

Thanks for the correction. Though that is threatened, not endangered. But is it worth putting them in a zoo if they're unhappy and the conditions are inappropriate?

Regarding up-close interaction, that's why I said going on expeditions or to preservation societies....sometimes you can get even closer to the animals in those environments. If people can afford to go to zoos, why not attend one of the former so everyone involved benefits?

And again, I said most zoos. There are zoos--like the Australian Zoo Steve Irwin founded--that seem to have their stuff together.

I don't know where you live, but a zoo is much closer and cheaper to visit than a preservation society. Our zoo (rated one of the best in the country) is actually free to residents on certain days of the week. That is the difference between zoos and preserves- access.

I don't know where you live, but a zoo is much closer and cheaper to visit than a preservation society. Our zoo (rated one of the best in the country) is actually free to residents on certain days of the week. That is the difference between zoos and preserves- access.

Have to agree with this. I would LOVE to go to africa and see gazelle and lions and all sorts of critters... but that's a little out of my budget. Driving the 45-60 minutes to Chicago, paying to park, and going to the free zoo? That I can manage. Even the preservation areas - they're awesome, no doubt... but they're a lot scarcer than the zoos, and the ones that are in the U.S. seem to be in the middle of nowhere. I suppose that makes sense - you won't have an african sort of preservation close to a city area in case something was to go wrong... but at the same time, not everyone can afford to drive hours and hours to get to one, or pay to fly to a different country. Would love to, but unfortunately, can't.

Zoos are ok. I'm not crazy about them, they just are what they are. The only zoo I've been to (other than when I was liiiittle) was the Indianapolis Zoo... and the animals there seem to be in good habitats. Sure, they're not wild. But the elephants have gobs of room and the polar bears get to swim and hide in their little caves, and so on. Ok, fine, I know, in real life, elephants would wander miles daily, yes? Surely they can't in the zoo... but unfortunately, if we tried to replicate everything... it wouldn't be a zoo (and it wouldn't be feasible). I think, for the amount of space that zoos have to work with, they're fine. And I'm all for saving the species, and a lot of zoos have lately (within the past few years) had babies born of species that are endangered... if the animals aren't breeding in the wild (possibly because of destruction of habitat or something else - won't even get into that) then zoos are one of the only chances they have left.

I live about an hour and a half from an animal preserve http://www.tigersfortomorrow.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 ; equidistance from the Birmingham zoo. It is less than $15.00 to get in.

I wasn't suggesting people fly over to Africa, or any other country :rolleyes: My point was the money spent going to Sea World, or traveling several hours to a particular zoo (to see sea animals, for example), could be spent doing a dolphin expedition, where they can be seen in their own habitat....or attending a preservation group a few hours away.

Zoos are very important for conservation as well as education. At least at my local zoo most of the animals were captive-bred and born so they do not know the difference between being in the wild vs. being in captivity. They are well cared for and I can say on behalf of my very impoverished students who would never see such animals otherwise, that zoos are not a "bad thing.". There is a point where I believe we can get overconcerned regarding animal welfare...zoo animals are not being abused...at least not in my opinion. Also I am from Africa and I would not recommend seeking out wild animals as they can be very dangerous. When I was nine years old I was attacked by a baboon because he wanted my ice cream...luckily when he got the cone he stopped but that situation could have turned deadly. And if you want to talk about animal welfare...safari parks are worse than zoos. I see where those who are opposed to zoos are coming from, but I personally am happy they exist and continue to make strides towards animal conservation and education.

Zoo animals are very well cared for and usually are not the ones performing tricks for audience. I've been to a couple zoos around here and their animals are properly cared for. While the public usually doesn't get to see it, the animals DO get a lot of stimulation when they are fed and are regularly checked for any health problems. A lot of times when zoos have "shows" during the day to educate children they will bring out young wild animals that just romp around on the stage and don't actually perform any tricks while the keepers talk about the animals. They do have trick performing animals...usually stray/adopted domestic dogs and cats that enjoy doing the routines because we've bred them to want to please people.

I would not classify Sea World or it's affiliates as "zoos" but more of themed amusement parks. Those places are NOT there for the preservation of these animals or they would not get their animals from irreputable sources that slaughter hundreds of dolphins/orcas/what have you in order to get one or two viable performing animals. Dolphins are not happy in captivity, you just don't hear as much about them because they're numerous and people care less about Flipper than Free Willy. Dolphins regularly die in captivity because of failure to thrive. The big sea mammals were made to swim extreme distances...a tank does not give them that. Sea world is not somewhere I have ever been, ever desired to go or will ever go. Even when I was little I knew there was something wrong with keeping such large, majestic animals in tanks performing tricks for people.

I think it also comes down to the individual zoo. Some zoos keep their animals in smaller, caged enclosures. Some zoos go all out to provide a habitat that is as close to their natural habitat as possible

I live close to Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, and was just there (again) yesterday with my son's class. This zoo has large enclosures for their animals, and tries to present them in their "natural" habitats.

Zoos definitely provide educational opportunites for people who then might become more empathetic to their needs and to their cause. Wild animals habitats are disappearing all over the world, and some of these animals may totally disappear from the wild, and the only place to see them, learn about them, and provide safety for them will be zoos. The more people learn about wild animals while at a zoo, the more they may do to help protect them in the wild.

Okay, I see your points. The gist is most zoos are good (for humans and animals) and Sea World is bad. I think the animal being happy should be more important than the education, but I see your points about how the zoos make it like the natural environment/don't force them to do tricks/provide safety/etc. I'd say I'm more positive about zoos now.

Something I'd like to add to the dolphine thing is I've seen them in their natural habitat (I was on a boat in the ocean and they were cruising with the boat's tide - kind of like you see them on the beginning of Titanic - very cool) and after seeing that, you can definitely tell they're not happy in captivity. When I saw them, there were hundred jumping, swimming, and it looked like they were having the time of their lives. It was beautiful, and after seeing that you understand just how miserable they are at Sea World, swimming around in circles in their little pools. I think they are friendly and can interact with humans - but by choice and in the ocean.

I dont think I would classify Seaworld as "Bad". Though perhaps not quite as focused on the "natural" habitat of some of their tenants, they do do quite a bit of research and preservation. I participated in a "job shadow" with one of their Marine Biologists before, and got a pretty good look at what goes on behind the scenes. It is definitely the case that they are more concerned with themselves as primarily of the "amusement park" variety as opposed to a Zoo or Aquarium.

Keep in mind too, that many (not all, but a majority) of animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and Seaworld are captive bred. As a result they know nothing of the life that they are missing out on, and quite frankly, if they were released into the wild many of them do not have the skills necessary to survive. Though I cant say that have been "domesticated" and it may be a little more dramatic of an example, think of it like your dog... or your hedgehog or Chin. They've been bred in captivity and know nothing of free roaming. And quite frankly, Im sure many of our animals if given the chance would come right back home to be pampered if we decided to turn them out! lol.

Like many others have said, Zoos, Aquariums and yes, even Seaworld, have their goods and bads. They give us unparalleled education on many animal species and many also help fund research for their exhibits wild brethren! :)

Back