The Great Cage Debate- Insight and Advice Sought

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
So my boys came with a "Super Pet Deluxe Care Home", and I'm considering getting a new cage for them. I've been reading on here and looking at cages and thought that now that I'm sort of approaching a decision, I should ask for some advice on my own cage and if these are good enough reasons to get a new one or if I'm just over-thinking and worrying as I'm prone to do when it comes to my boys:
A: There aren't any attachments and it's currently held with zipties which is all I had on hand to give them the second level (and the roof was only attached with fishnet thigh highs?)
B: I'm not a big fan of the doors and how I have to wiggle around everywhere to get at any level
C: Some things are hard to attach with the spacing because the bars are about about 5.5" wide and 1" long.
D: The plastic pan on the bottom, while nice and big, is still plastic so they might chew on it (though haven't as of yet) and absorbs odor which is a pain because I don't know how often this was cleaned and it smells sort of bad (my vinegar wipe down doesn't seem to work).
E: I don't really have a middle ground floor which is part of why I like the CN/FN because Riku in particular doesn't always reach the perches he aims for and I would like a little more solid ground in the middle- and the separate "rooms" of those units are nice.

But my question is sort of multi-fold and I thought I should ask someone with more experience, albeit, you all.
1) Is the cage I have just fine and I should just work on replacing all the shelves (also made of plastic, so need replacing although I've also thought of just covering them in chew safe fleece), although I do worry that the cage won't hold up wooden shelves very well as it is sort of flimsy since it seems to be bent in some places.
1b) Obviously if I kept this cage I'd have to figure out some better attachment methods for the sides of the cage and top- what do you recommend to attach the sides?

2) If I did get a new cage I've looked at the Critter Nation/Ferret Nation and while I *know* that the only real difference is if the bars are vertical or horizontal, obviously people really prefer the FN and I'm wondering if that has to do with perhaps just ease of attachment to the vertical bars and maybe horizontal are harder, or is it a matter of price, or simply a matter of how it's put together as I know one snaps together and one requires more hardware.

I know there are a million zillion posts on cages and the FN in particular, and I was just having a hard time locating why the FN is so highly preferred over the CN. I've looked at other cage possibilities like a QC, but it feels too...cagey for me -maybe it's the little squares- and I like the openness of the CN/FN/Marshall Estate, and also the fully opening doors and how the stand comes attached so that they're on my level and I don't have to worry about how to clean up around the floor (because currently having them on top of a wooden shelving unit is a pain for cleaning up poo and dust). Money isn't really the issue right now, I just want the best product for my little guys.

WHEW that was a bit more long winded than I originally intended. Thanks in advance to all who offer their help and insight! :) I apologize about the lack of photos. I tried uploading some, but I can't lately because I'm "missing a security token", although I succeeded in adding to my first album on my profile if anyone's curious about what the current cage looks like.

Last edited:
From my research on here, the FN is likely more popular than the CN because of the price. Also they are easier to find used on Craigslist. I have read many users who say if they had a choice and price wasn't an option they would go with the CN.

My chin also came with a suitable cage, but I will be getting a FN after the holidays. I like the doors, I imagine cleaning and decorating is much easier.

Thoughts from someone that switched: I can pet Crash better in the FN. He's closer to my height and seems more confident than he was in the QC condo (or the Mansion he was in at my ex's). My experience with Quality Cage was less than satisfactory, though that's also not the norm. When the pan doesn't chip and start to rust, it's a good product, but they've had some powder coating problems recently. The FN cage is far quieter while he runs on his Flying Saucer too, and a lot easier to shift and clean. The QC stand is nice and sturdy, but the cage doesn't attach to it, which adds a layer to clean and a potential complication when you move it.

The CN is easier to put together, the FN is slightly cheaper, although I believe Wal-Mart.com has both pretty reasonably and they did offer free shipping. Not sure if they still do though.

Zip ties are not good. From experience I can tell you that those little buggers will find those zip ties and chew them off. Replacing the shelves with wood shelves would help with that, and it will also sturdy up the cage. The plastic pan would not be a huge concern for me unless you have seen evidence of chewing on it. I had chins in super pet cages for a long time and they never bothered the plastic.

As far as switching, I guess that would depend on whether you want to spend $200.00 on a cage right now. If your cage works and can easily be spruced up with some wooden shelves and leap'n ledges, I would probably just stick with that.

Yes, I'm trying to think of better ways to connect it apart from the zipties, as that was all that was on hand to give them ANY kind of cage and they've already noticed :S. There was a LOT of plastic in the cagewhen I got it and I'm trying to replace it all as the checks come in. I think my questions were lost in my long winded explanation, so I aplogize. Any ideas on better connection devices and how well does the current cage hold up to wooden shelves as it seems sort of flimsy and maleable? Does anyone have experience with attaching to the SuperPet?
Thanks for the clarification on CN v FN- price isn't really an issue as I have the money saved. Does anyone know if the directions of the bars hinders or helps with attaching perches and shelves? Thank you again for your insight guys!

I have a Super Pet cage for Annabelle. It has been converted with wooden ledges (thanks Crysta!) and it works just fine. It does have the plastic bottom but its never been a problem. We cover the bottom with fleece and with the hidey house, litter pan, etc there isn't much surface area that she could chew on, and she's never shown any interest in doing so. She actually rarely goes into the bottom of her cage except to drink water or use her litter pan.
The main complaint my daughter and I have about the Super Pet cage is that we do not have extendable arms, ha ha. Its very difficult to get to things in the back of the cage because of the small doors. Other than that, the cage is just fine. We are going to upgrade to the FN 142 after the holidays.
If money is not a problem, then go with the FN/CN etc, but in the meantime I'd definitely get rid of those plastic zip-ties. You can get some thin wire to bind the corners instead. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm trying to think of better ways to connect it apart from the zipties, as that was all that was on hand to give them ANY kind of cage and they've already noticed :S. There was a LOT of plastic in the cagewhen I got it and I'm trying to replace it all as the checks come in. I think my questions were lost in my long winded explanation, so I aplogize. Any ideas on better connection devices and how well does the current cage hold up to wooden shelves as it seems sort of flimsy and maleable?

There are metal zip ties available that would be safer if chins chewed on them, but generally cages that are 5 panels "clipped" together are going to be flimsy and make noise if you have a wheel in there. Wood shelves attached in the corners or shelves running the length of a side attached to the 3 sides it touches will bind the cage together fairly well. See pic below

Does anyone have experience with attaching to the SuperPet?
Yes, and it wasn't worth the time and money. I should have gotten FNs from the get-go.

Thanks for the clarification on CN v FN- price isn't really an issue as I have the money saved. Does anyone know if the directions of the bars hinders or helps with attaching perches and shelves? Thank you again for your insight guys!

The SuperPet cage bars are what you will have with the Critter Nation, but the CN will be spaced 1/2 of what the SuperPet ones are. Attaching shouldn't be an issue and equally feasible for both FN and CN. The one and only thing I have against the CN is that my fingers will not fit thru the bars so I can scritch the chins. Therefore I replaced my superpet cages with FNs.

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19
Back