The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
critter nations?

So after posting a new thread and getting redirected here, I've still not figured out which would be better? a FN or a critter nation? I guess my answer will come from someone who can answer this: what is the spacing between the wires in the FN? I know the spacing for the critter Nation is 1/2"

I have one breeding pair and would like a cage where I can let mom keep babies in that cage (remove dad to my bachelor cage for the first week) right now I can't even bring him back to help with the babies because the only baby cage I have is tiny!

I've got the money for a total upgrade so I'm wondering what the space in the FN is so I can compare. The FN is cheaper but the spacing looks too big. can someone measure theirs and let me know! Thanks.

I'm OCD so they have to be the same cages lol..... SO I've got to buy two FN 142's and one FN 141 or two CN 162's and one CN 161 for my 10 pairs!! each cage will have to be split in half because even though all 4 of my bachelor males get along with each other the 4 girls would rather fight! so everyone is split into same sex pairs except my breeding pair! with 10 chins I've gotta make room. I have 5 sperate cages for each pair plus my baby/weaning cage They cover the entore bedroom!!!!!!

I have a ferret nation for my chins and have a question-I see many of you are using the fleece liners. How do they work, and where did you get them?

I have a ferret nation for my chins and have a question-I see many of you are using the fleece liners. How do they work, and where did you get them?

You just lay them down, and change them out every couple days. I change mine out every other day. I absolutely LOVE them, it makes cage clean up a snap.

I have been making all of mine by hand. It's easier if you have a sewing machine..but totally doable by hand if you have the patience. I am NOT a good seamstress....but it's working alright so far! I opted to make them myself because I could make an entire cage set, 1 liner, 1 shelf liner, hammock, cuddle tube cover, for the cost of buying a set from someone.

Some people also just get fleece and fold it, no sewing involved.

So after posting a new thread and getting redirected here, I've still not figured out which would be better? a FN or a critter nation? I guess my answer will come from someone who can answer this: what is the spacing between the wires in the FN? I know the spacing for the critter Nation is 1/2"

I just measured 1inx5.5in

Internal, I might be slightly off but I got 34x25x23

Thank you so much, that answers the question for which cage is better for babies because they can sqeeze out of the 1 inch space. My breeding pair love to run and will escape anytime the door is open and everyone of there kits will try to escape. They seem to find an little spot I might have missed in their weaning cage!!!! I'd love to have a cage where they can't escape from!!!!! Critter Nation is the winner for me.... I'm headed online to find the best priced!!! Thanks for the help everyone!

Well, it's done!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iNRhk2jmu99HZDP-_QRkdg?feat=directlink

And apparently, he likes it!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Kd_fjFxxLZ3I2Y8QIiWLww?feat=directlink

I have a fleece tube to install once the cover comes out of the laundry, and his hay thingy is in there now; it's hanging on the side in those pictures. Getting him into it the first time was the hardest part; he absolutely *hates* being picked up. Now I just need to figure out a way to get him down from there for playtime. (The bottom half is storage right now, being saved for another little guy to be spoiled rotten, and eventually share the whole thing with Crash. :D )

I just ordered my third FN142. I wanted to thank everyone here. The cages are a dream to clean. I am using Bass Pans and shavings. I just had a very messy experience with a bonded pair that came in a Ferret Mansion cage and it was so difficult for me to keep the cage clean that I had to order one more FN142 even though I was trying to wait a little to spend the money.

I would not use any other kine of cage. :thumbsup:

can anyone tell me how tall one section of the cage is? I've found it tells how tall the entire cage is, but I'd like to share the cage between two pair and need to seperate it, so I'm wondering how tall each section is? Thanks!

can anyone tell me how tall one section of the cage is? I've found it tells how tall the entire cage is, but I'd like to share the cage between two pair and need to seperate it, so I'm wondering how tall each section is? Thanks!

Each section is 24 inches tall I believe. A pair would be happy in each section of a FN142

Does anyone know where I can get replacement wheels? One of mine just completely shattered when I was moving it. Thanks!

Finally some decent pictures of my double decker chillies!!!!
I've since changed Pudge's water bottle to the glass one just like Banilly's. Other than that, these pictures are a pretty acurate setup. I cannot wait til I get enough money to buy more fleece. Pudge doesn't actually have liners yet, just one layer of fleece layering her floor. I hate it. She pulls it up all the time, it gets dirty so fast, and it's a tacky camouflage print haha. Also on my wishlist is a second hay box (same as Banilly's) and two wheels from Chincessories. These babies also need some new chewies. I found a local rescue though so I'm planning on visiting soon and purchasing some supplies!

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 186
Does anyone know where I can get replacement wheels? One of mine just completely shattered when I was moving it. Thanks!

Call midwest. They can send you a new set. I went through 3 wheels when I was moving. I finally went to a hardware store and bought some heavier duty casters.

Call midwest. They can send you a new set. I went through 3 wheels when I was moving. I finally went to a hardware store and bought some heavier duty casters.

Thanks :) I did a search for replacement parts on Yahoo, nothing came up. I found their website, I'll contact them tomorrow.

I wouldn't get them from mid-west - they will only break again. Although I would complain to Mid-west about the wheels - lots of people here have had the same problem. I did complain to Mid-west and they said they would take it 'under advisment' If enough people complain maybe they will do something about it. If you search under 'wheels' I think you will find under this same thread some replacement wheels for the FN

Can anyone provide specifics on what to look for at the hardware store for replacement casters? Are there different sizes, if so which size works best for an FN? Any tricks or considerations that may help someone replace a caster?

I have not broken one yet, but I have read the above questions asked a couple of times, but I don't recall seeing an answer.

Back