That was uneventful

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServantofBlueberry

Sorry if this is long.

So here I am today at the thirty day mark, with a very healthy new girl moving into the living room. I moved her cage in this morning, and they have both been snoozing all day. The critters started to stir about an hour ago, so I took turns letting them out. I have them about three feet apart, and I am using a metal playpen type thing to keep them about 6 in. away from the others cage while they are out. I was all excited for some chin conversation, and I got nothing. They didnt pay any mind to each other even when they are eye level mere inches away. If they dont pay attention to each other, how in the world are they supposed to get used to each other???

From what I've seen with my own chins, it really depends on the temperament of the chins. Some will be very curious about each other, some immediately start yelling at each other, and others are like "...meh." I personally take this as a good sign! After all, it's much better than immediate fighting, and probably means they are less likely to be in the "will never get along" category as some chins are. Good luck!

They were let out again, and I think they noticed each other more, there was a significant amount of looking at each other and bouncing around. No yelling or peeing though, which I hope is a good sign. Im fairly good at speaking Chin, with just one Chin. This whole having two of them thing, is totally confusing to me. I have little idea of whats normal and whats not. haha. Thanks! It will be slow going, probably another month before I let them meet nose to nose. I want to take as much time as possible for them to get used to the idea of the other one, and hopefully minimize any problems.

Back