Temporary Drooling?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

Has anyone experienced a chin who drools that is NOT malo related?
I had an animal come visit for a weight check who showed signs of drooling. I expressed my concern to her owner who had a vet look into tooth issues. Vet ruled out malo upon visual exam. Yes, I know that isn't conclusive. The owner later reported that her chin stopped drooling spontaneously.

Prior to this, I had an animal (in no contact with the aformentioned one) who drooled, was checked by the vet in a preliminary tooth exam with malo ruled out. The drooling stopped after a week or so.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know of possible reasons for drooling that is time limited?

I am not postive but I am pretty sure that if they have something stuck in between their teeth (ie. hay, splinter of wood, etc) that can cause drooling. It is possible that it dislodged on its own?

Bloat can cause drooling, nausea can cause drooling, a soft tissue injury orally can cause drooling.

There are times when malo can not be ruled out with only a physical exam, especially by most vets. Malo is more than looking in their mouth to see if there are points ( which is what most vet do) it can also be the roots growing through the jaw line. Sometimes it seems to happen in spurts, which causes intermittent drooling.

Along with Dawn's suggestions gum infection can cause it, and as she said soft tissue, I've heard of chins getting splinters in their gums causing drooling. I had a female who started drooling who upon palpation of the jaw and visual inspection had no signs of malo, I flushed her mouth out with copious amount of water, and it stopped immediately. All I can do is assume something was dislodged. I would also say that possibly allergies could cause it, a sore throat may cause it as well, anything making it painful or difficult to swallow.

But because of visual inspection by a vet who may or may not know a lot about chins and that the drooling stopped I would not fully rule out malo until an xray is taken. I currently have a chin here who's mother and all siblings had malo, she also has malo that is noticeable upon palpation, prior to finding the malo in the lines she had been bred. Her signs came on after birthing, she lost both of her kits and lots of weight, drooling, and watering of both eyes, as well as jaw swiping (luckily they were the only two born to the lines here) and after the death of her kits the signs slowly recessed. She currently has no visual signs of malo and eats fine. That doesn't mean she doesn't have it, it simply means that she's not currently showing it.

With that bit in there, like Dawn indicated there are many other reasons for drooling.

You also need a vet who can actually read a x-ray and if they cannot find anything you need a vet who will actually make the effort to get the x-ray to a x-ray tech expert to read them, malo and elongation are not the only things that go on in the chins mouth that cause pain and drooling and those things are not visual orally or readily apparent on a x-ray.

Back