Teeth trimming and weight loss

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelsey1018

I have been dreading making this post, and have been reading through all the similar threads on this forum..

Anyway, one of my chins, Yoshi, has been slowly losing weight over the past month or so. I noticed he was being really picky with his pellets. He would dig them all out of the bowl, scatter them across the ledge and pick through them, crumbling them, etc. His cagemates don't do this and eat whole pellets happily out of the bowl. He has been refusing treats that he normally would have begged for (pieces of mini shredded wheat, cheerios...) I don't know if he's really been chewing sticks or toys much either. He also seemed kind of lethargic, and his teeth are a paler yellow than I'd like. I started to suspect teeth issues because of all these signs, so I took him to vet today. I feel terrible that I didn't take him sooner now...

The vet weighed him and he's only 506 g. I know he used to weigh probably 50 g or more than that months ago, but I recently moved and now don't know where my scale is. I noticed just by holding him that he felt lighter. Anyway the vet looked at his teeth and thought that the lower incisors looked a little long so he trimmed them.

Now here is what has me troubled...he asked him to do a head x-ray. He took him back to do it; they even put up a sign on the door "warning, x-ray in progress." But he never showed me an x-ray?? Ugh, in my worry, at the time, I hoped that he had done it and looked it at back there without showing me or that he decided his teeth looked well enough to not need one after all.

The other troubling thing is that he trimmed his lower incisors and I asked him, "Shouldn't he need pain meds because he'll be sore?" He said no, because he hadn't trimmed down into the pulp of the teeth. But it seems odd to me since almost every thread I've read here where a chin had its teeth trimmed or filed, it was also prescribed pain meds. I am worried that he is going to be too sore to eat at least some pellets like he was doing before.

The vet also said I should offer him fresh greens or a tiny bit of carrot to see if he'd eat it; I promptly told him that I'd always read that those weren't good for chins but he said it wouldn't hurt. I haven't actually offered him either but...I don't know.

The vet also did a fecal float and he said he'd have the results asap.

I'm still not confident in how the visit went and am just generally nervous that he didn't know enough about chins. He admitted that he did not see many chinchillas and that he mostly saw rabbits. I only went to this vet because he is the only vet that would treat exotic animals in this city. The next nearest place to take him is 2 hours away. I will take him there if I need to, especially if you think that X-rays and a different vet are absolutely imperative.

I'm waiting to see if the trimming will help and I'll be keeping an eye on how he eats, in the meantime...

I've ordered DYNE and Lifeline, because I think he's probably going to need them. (I'm thinking that even if he is still eating pellets that I will supplement with Lifeline since he doesn't weigh as much as I'd like.) I'm prepared to forcefeed if he doesn't show signs of eating after his trim. I've done it before, when Yoshi had a wound which became infected, and the old vet prescribed baytril, which caused appetite loss, and thus, I syringe-fed him every couple hours with CC and probiotics. He hated it but he recovered.

On the plus side, Yoshi only seems a little tired after his teeth trim. He is still bright-eyed, no drooling and no watery eye. I've put him in a smaller cage away from the other chins just so I can monitor his eating, drinking, and pooing more easily. He is pretty miffed about that since he can't be with his buddies in the big cage. He has a small alfalfa-hay cube (that he seemed to be nibbling on yesterday), pellets, fresh hay, and some Ryerson's supplement until I can get the Lifeline.

So anyway...Am I being overly concerned about how the vet visit went? I guess right now I'll just wait and see, since Yoshi's poops look okay and he has been eating, but he's still too small and not acting totally normal.

Last edited:
First, I suggest you call the vet and ask if the xrays were taken. If so, ask what are the results. If he didn't take any xrays, then ask why not. If your chin goes off feed then you need the cc or essentials for life that Tanya here sells, as well as the lifeline when you get it, he would need these a lot more than the supplement. As far as pain meds after trimmings, I would say yes, your vet should have prescribed them since this is the first time your chin has ever had a filing. Call your vet and ask for it in case you need it.

Last edited:
You chin did not get a filing, he got a incisor trim which really won't do much. Filing is when the chin is put out under gas and the cheek teeth are filed down to remove points with a dental handpiece (drill). You need a vet to actually put the chin under, have a oral exam along with a periodontal exam and x-rays if the first vet did not do them and then have the cheek teeth filed . Incisor trims are not painful and won't help IMO in this chins situation since when they are long the back teeth are long also.

Dawn, the first filing CJ ever had were to his incisors and they did put him under to trim and file them. They prescribed metacam for him for 3 days. CJ went off his feed and hay that same evening. Maybe my CJ is a wuss or something but IMO I would have wanted the metacam just in case.

Incisors are not usually done under gas and actually vet techs usually do them, not the vet. Maybe your vet did a couple of cheek teeth also or a oral exam while under and that was why he was put under? The vet from the OP is correct, the pulp of the incisor teeth is very deep in the skull and the heat from the dental handpiece should not get to it to aggravate the nerve. Metecam is always a good idea to have on hand regardless of what was done since you are right, some chins are just drama queen wusses!

Maybe you can post where you live & someone here can recommend another vet. If they did xrays, they did anethesia, at that time the Dr shuld have gotten a look inside. I also agree that pain meds shuld have been given. When u call to find out about the xrays, ask for metacam.

Also check your bill & make sure u were not charged. I really like the essentials for life from fuzzieskingdom.com. it is an excellent supplement for handfeeding.

Ask to see the x-ray and if you get pictures we can (not me, but others) can help you to see what they look like. Ugh, as for the fresh greens, I had a vet tell me to feed Furby that right after he had GIARDIA, for heck's sake. I figure that's because other rodents do well with fresh greens. Anyway, you can't go wrong with CC and lifeline and such, so good luck!

Your comments pretty much confirm my suspicions. I'm going to try to take him somewhere else, then. I am happy to report that he is eating some pellets still tonight and also ate some alfalfa hay. (He normally only gets timothy, but I had read on here that alfalfa might stimulate him to eat more and it seems to be working.)

As for the vet, he did not charge me for an x-ray so I am assuming he decided not to do one. At the time I was just so nervous that I hoped that he hadn't needed one after all, but afterward I thought about it and it seemed doubtful. He only charged me for a visit, trim, and fecal float.

I live in Greensboro, NC. My old vet was in Raleigh, NC. For anyone in the area, it was Bowman Animal Hospital. They seemed all right with small animals but as I said, it's 2 hrs away. I'm hoping there might be a good vet in Chapel Hill, 1 hr away. But does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere nearby me in NC? I'm willing to travel 2 hrs but it'd be better if it were 1. I'm considering going to Dr. Kara Malone at Timberlyne Animal Clinic in Chapel Hill. But I'm planning on calling first before I go this time and asking if they have experience with chin dental problems and teeth filing (not trimming).

In the meantime, if Lifeline doesn't get here in time I'm probably going to crush up pellets and feed it to him that way if he isn't eating enough. But I was under the impression that Lifeline can be fed by itself...that it doesn't have to be mixed with CC? Am I wrong about that?

Thanks for the help so far. Yoshi seems to be doing okay. He is chirping and alert, and seems to have eaten a little solid food as I said. He also has had no problems drinking so let's hope it stays that way.

Lifeline is more of a supplement, not so much a meal replacer. You can crush up the pellets but you will need to add something to it to make it a more pudding like consistency. Personally I use either canned pumpkin or baby food squash. I prefer the pumpkin but the squash is SO much more convenient. Gerber makes a stage 1 that is in the little plastic containers, i ususally use 1/2 of one container for a big bowl & freeze the rest. It gets kinda funky if you leave it in the fridge too long. I grind my pellets in a coffee grinder. I also mix in the Essentials for Life as stated from www.fuzzieskingdom.com
my one chin wont touch the critical care but loves the EFL.

In reading back thru your initial post, you never said aside from crumbling pellets if he had any other symptoms? Was he drooling? Swiping at his mouth? Watery Eyes??
You said he wasnt eating treats or wood?? Have you tried a variety of things?
Maybe he just needs a feed change and hay variety. Of course you know your chin best and if Yoshi isnt acting "normal" than you should have him checked out by a vet with chin experience and one who knows how to look for tooth spurs & points and knows how to file them. And also knows what meds to prescribe and the proper dosage.

Keep us updated. I hope he is on the mend.

You can feed LL as a replacment if its the only thing you can get the chin to eat, I fed it full time to a chin for a few months with no real issues. CC is cheaper by the pound so long term feeding it is ideal as a replacement but if it comes to LL or no food its fine.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to have severe symptoms but he doesn't seem to want to touch hard foods. He is still crumbling pellets and won't take treats, but he did eat some alfalfa hay like I said (probably because it smelled very good and it was leafy). He used to go wild for shredded wheats and now he shuns them, or he tries to take one and seems like he wants to eat it but then he drops it. He is still eating, but it's not very much, and I don't want his weight loss to continue :(

There's no drooling and no watery eyes, but he has done a little mouth swiping.

For now I'll get some canned pumpkin or baby food squash to add to the Lifeline. In the meantime it's going to have to be crushed pellets. There may be a vet who sells critical care around here, so maybe I'll call and try to get that asap too.

you can feed the lifeline straight. i didnt realize you could use it as a feed replacer, i dont because of the cost. its the pellets you wanted to add a little baby food to, that will improve the consistency. you could also add the lifeline to the pellet mix to improve taste.

also whenever i handfeed, i will use baby gas drops because they can and do suck in some air. .05 - 1 cc with each feeding is what i do.

if you go with the critical care, try & get the apple banana. if you decide to order online, i prefer (well my chins do) the essentials for life from fuzzieskingdom.com instead of the critical care.

Not all chins drool when they have teeth issues, one of the worst cases of malo I had she never drooled. The pick up and drop of something they love is a classic symptom something is going on in the mouth and he should have a exam while put under by a vet who knows chin teeth.

Alfalfa is a fave of malo chins, the leaves are very soft and they can basically suck it down without much mouth movement, so keep offering him that.

same problem

One of my chins is having the same problem here. After teeth filed, she refused to eat by it own...I have given her alfafa hay too in her food bowl of pellets/timothy hay but she wasn't much interested too.

What else can I do beside feeding her CC all the way till.....and when she started to drool alot again ...I bring her to for teeth filed again?

I put a bowl of CC mixed with some pellets in my Herby's cage after a teeth trimming and filing and she eats it that way. I crush the pellets up and mix them with the CC. But I also offer her a bowl of regular pellets ( she is on Mazuri ) so in case she wants to try and eat them. I also try to keep some LifeLine on hand, as this helps to stimulate the appetite.

I toss a few manna pellets into the bowl of chins who are filed-they will eat those first since they are softer and tastier than regular pellets. Chins especially first time filed chins need to figure out they can eat without pain. I give them 7-10 days after a file to resume eating ( I am talking about chins with points, not malo chins, malo chins need to be fed 24/7/365 and may never eat on their own) if they have not resumed eating back to the vet for a recheck-its common for vets to miss points on a first time filed chin.

I am expecting the UK pellets in a few days that ClaireD recommended, I can't wait to see how Dante likes the taste. She uses them for her dental chins and has had good luck with them eating them since they are soft.

I will try mixing CC with some pellets (she is on mazuri too). It has been a week now after her teeth filed. She still pawing on her mouth once in awhile and a little drool can be found once in awhile just under her mouth.

I have also order the Beaphar care+ from UK and I hope it will help her eating later on.

I toss a few manna pellets into the bowl

'splain please??? lol

never used them, but i am always looking for something to encourage richie to eat more on his own.
also where is the reference on the UK pellets?? again........will try anything to maintain his weight & health.

I am expecting the UK pellets in a few days that ClaireD recommended, I can't wait to see how Dante likes the taste. She uses them for her dental chins and has had good luck with them eating them since they are soft.
I hope Dante likes them.
Beaphar are quite crunchy, not soft (because they are extruded) but even dental chins seem to manage them well. I have oldies who chomp away on them quite happily & it's nice to hear them crunching.

Latest posts

Back