Teeth removal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlshepherd

After my chinchilla having dampness around her eye for a few weeks I took her to the vet. After the vet had a look at her she suggested bringing her back in for an X-ray and having a look at her teeth. She has a feeling that it is an issue with her back teeth (can't remember which teeth they were) and that they might have to remove them. I've read up on other forums that some chin owners put down their chinchillas rather than having teeth removed. I asked the vet if my chinchilla would be okay to eat on her own and what would happen afterwards. The vet said that if it's her back teeth then there isn't a cure for it, I would just have to monitor her closely and try to prevent it happening again.

I know I haven't provided much info. But if anyone could give me some advice or additional information on teeth removal for chinchillas I would appreciate it

Thanks a lot.

I'm assuming the roots are over grown or he would have suggested a dental to file down the edges pulling teeth is very risky in chinchillas. They have very fragile bones in their face and jaws. Also the opposing teeth have to be pulled since they will have nothing to wear on, so you just doubled the amount that need removed. Root elongation can not be prevented, so the fact that your very advises trying to prevent at home raises a red flag. There it's no effective treatment for this and your chin is in a lit off pain. Euth is the kindest choice for her

I'm going to take her for a X-ray first then have a long talk with my vet and see what they think. Are teeth issues hereditary? Because she has a son and I'm worried in case he gets it at some point down the line too.

If the vet suggests taking her teeth out I'll ask if it would be kinder to euthanise her instead. It's no life for her :(

I have done selective teeth removal and can say 100% it does not work, the chinchilla teeth are not anchored in bone like humans, so when the removed teeth leave a space, the adjacent teeth and opposing teeth will fill the space causing a worsened maloccusion and elongation, when the opposing teeth malocclude and make full contact all the time, the tooth is signaled that it can't grow anymore externally, and will grow internally the opposite direction, meaning it elongates backward either out the lower jaw bone or into the eye socket or into the nasal passage.

Here is a pic of one of my skulls and what elongation looks like

another of my skulls, more dramatic.

It is my opinion that putting the animal to sleep would be the kindest thing. It doesn't ever get better, only worse.

Removing teeth from a chinchilla is a little like the Dutch boy sticking his thumb in a dam. It works for about 10 seconds and then it explodes. Your chin will be miserable. You will be miserable. She will suffer terribly and you will have to watch her doing it, knowing it was your choice that is bringing her all that pain. This is not a fixable disease. Filing teeth is very temporary and painful. Removing teeth is even less temporary and even more painful. Sometimes the only thing we can do, the best thing we can do, is to let go.

It's a crappy decision to have to make and it's a crappy disease to have to deal with, but it is what it is. You will have to make the choice between quality and quantity of life. It has taken me years to learn it, and Dawn is telling you it has taken her years to learn it, but now I always, always choose quality over quantity - no matter how much it hurts me to lose them.

Okay so I took my chinchilla in for an X-ray today. Good news, her teeth are perfect, the roots are good too. However, she has inflamed cheek pads and inflamed tear duct. The vet has no idea what could have caused her inflamed cheek pads. At least this is curable. I'm so relieved. She will be on antibiotics and anti inflamitaries (spelling) for about 10 days.

Back