teeth problems, so worried about his future

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

I've been having a hard time dealing with my chin's illness. We got Taro after he was weened at 3 months. He is now a year and 1 month old. From what I remember, he has always ate his pellets half way (with pellet crumbs leftover) and I just figured he was different from the other two. Lately, he lost interest for hay and when his poop was getting small, lighter brown than dark, I immediately got worried. I took out his pellets and fed him hay only for 2-3 days but it didn't get better. At this stage, he still ate pellets but I when I looked closely, I noticed that food was falling out of his mouth as he was eating. Then I noticed one day that his chest was wet. I didn't know that it was a result of his drooling and immediately took him to the vet the next day.

At the vet, the doctor pried his mouth open and we noticed his lower and upper teeth weren't aligned. Is this malocclusion? Is this a diagnosis or do you need xrays to prove malocclusion? The doctor says that since he is a baby, it's likely to be genetic rather than an accident. He is staying at the vet overnight to get his teeth trimmed. I read a lot about malocclusion on this forum and the internet, and generally results in putting the chin down which I don't want to even think about. If his teeth gives him problem after trimming again, what happens? It breaks my heart to think about the pain the poor guy has to endure. Just hoping to get more information about other chin owners that went through the same thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I can't answer all your questions I can tell you I had one of my girls teeth ground down. Was the molar area and spikes. That was nearly a year and a half ago. And she's doing fine. However she was adopted out for a while and was brought back. Then the problem came up shortly thereafter. It would seem it was animal husbandry at this point. Due to the fact that her teeth have NOT had to be redone. I will tell you after surgery she had no interest in eating. Thus I handfed her for several days before she started to eat again. With critical care.

Best wishes for your little one.

I will be honest, you have a case of genetic malocclusion, the worst case scenario IMO. The chin is young and the condition will progress fast since it is genetic, there is no cure and there is no long term treatment plan that will be good for the quality of life of the chin. I will lay it out for you as true as I can, I have had many genetic malo chins and have tried all but one treatment avaliable, a few experimental treatments, spent well over 15000.00 in vet bills. Genetic malo chins need to be filed like clockwork-usually 4-7 weeks and there is the constant worry of elongation-you do need to have frequent x-rays-every 6 months or so to moniter the roots. Handfeeding will be your life-24/7/365, no vacations, heck no day away since they need to be fed at least 3 times a day-you will figure out how much by watching weight-they need to be weighed daily. Critial care and Lifeline can get spendy when you feed 24/7. There will be water baths, other health issues such as eye infections, skin infections from all the swiping, periodontal infections, bloat, stasis if you just can't get any food at all in them no matter if you tried for hours, there will be meds and injections, you will have to handfeed water-there is always the risk of aspiration and pneumonia, you will say goodbye everytime they are filed because there is always a risk of death when put under. There is frequent sudden death in filed chins, from URIs and from the gas used to be put under. Pain medication will be needed full time, there is a risk there of liver and kidney damage if done long term. The stress will kick your behind. The bond you will form with the chin will rip your heart out when the time comes to say "uncle" or when you see them dying and there is nothing you can do. I am not saying to put him down now, I just want to make sure that you are prepared for the stress and hearbreak that can happen if you decide to proceed with full time treatment, it will be expensive, stressful, the chin will be in pain and you have to look the chin in the eye and tell them Mommy loves them even though they are kept in pain.

Last edited:
Be sure the incisors are right, and not too long. I would get one good filing, make sure everything is as good as the doctor can get it. Then wait and see what happens.

definitely get the xrays. try to get digital ones so you can post them here and have a few people take a look.
i have experience with malo but not at that young age. i have done what Dawn mentioned about handfeeding a chin around the clock.......it is very hard. i have also spent a lot of money on xrays, filings, medicine, etc.... but in the end you need to do what is right for you and your chin.
i know it is difficult to think about some possibilities, believe me, i would sit in the bathroom and tear would drop on my chin but you really need to take it step by step.
first get the filing and while he is under anethesia have them do xrays.
actually first make sure you have a chin competent vet and not a vet who is dabbling in exotics and using your chin as his training.
after you get the filing you will probably need to supplement with handfeeding and administering meds. see how he does after 4 - 6 weeks. and than revisit your options.
in the meantime maybe a few members can take a look at his xrays and advise you from there.

There is no wait and see with genetic malo, its there and a lifetime of filings will be needed.

I have to say I totally agree with the sentiments of Dawn's posts.
Young chins who develop tooth problems are heartbreaking to own & the adage of 'rather a minute too soon than a second too late" when it comes to giving the chin a dignified, peaceful & pain-free ending is even more relevant.

To the OP - I am very sorry you are facing this difficult time ahead.

When a chin is put down, before a life of pain that faces them, it is a good chin death, it is quick, painless and it is without fear, and it is necessary. Death is different for animals, they are not like us, they don't worry about it before hand, they are not afraid of it. For them a good death is just another part of life, the last part. The most important thing is that we try to give them a good life, give him a life for now that is full of love.

Ticklechin, i really admire your persistence to give your chins the best. i was really starting to tear up reading your post.

Thank you for all your words, whether it be comfort or your knowledge. I picked him up from the vet earlier today. Poor guy looked tired. I want to remain hopeful. To clarify, his upper incisor slightly overlaps his lower (which I read is normal), the vet said his molars look good, the only visible problem is that his tooth is too long which probably irritated him.

I've been reading a lot about teeth problems in chinchillas and I'm hoping someone can clarify for me:

-WHAT EXACTLY IS MALOCCLUSION? On the internet, it's defined in so many ways (teeth overlap, tooth root elongation, overgrowth). What is it? Is it distinct from simple tooth overgrowth?

I'm praying that my chin is just getting overgrowth because I'm guilty of not putting enough chew toys in his cage and his diet consist more of pellets than hay (80% pellets 20% oxbow timothy hay)- he is so much more fond of pellets (mazuri).

At this point, I'm still hopeful that it isn't malocclusion. I'm scheduled for another vet visit in 3-4 weeks and I will insist on x rays. Until then, he will be receiving much love and extra care.

If it is incisors only you may get lucky, incisor trims are mild and do not usually cause pain afterward unless the chin is a drama queen. If the molars look good you need to stay WAY on top of the incisors-overgrown incisors lead quickly to malocclusion of the molars. Malocclusion means the teeth are crooked-it is used in broad terms to include elongation of the roots. You can have malocclusion without elongation, you can have elongation with perfect tooth occlusion or you can have both. Since your chin does not have maloccluded molars and just incisors that are overgrown and from what you said the teeth are not crooked in the front, the outcome can be good with increased chewing of wood and the such. Find wood he loves and give him all he wants.

Can I ask why the vet did not xray today? At 13 months it should be obvious (to a good vet) as a necessity to know exactly what you are dealing with.

After his surgery this morning, Taro doesn't have much appetite. I ordered cc (express shipping) and am waiting for it to arrive. I made a mush of pellets with water and a little bit of apple juice to stimulate his interest. I managed to get him to eat quite a bit. At this point, I'm just worried about him still drooling! Why is he still drooling and is this normal? I figured since his teeth are fixed, he shouldn't be drooling anymore. He really doesn't smell good and I'm sure he isn't comfortable either. His fur on his chest looks disgusting and I wanted to wash his fur with a bit of water and dry it but I don't want to stress him out more so I just gave him a dust bath.

Claire D, the vet never mentioned x rays and said that taro's teeth looked like they are in good shape although they seem a bit uneven (i'm thinking he meant the bottom incisors one was longer than the other). He did mention that some chin owners end up having to get their teeth trimmed every 4 weeks and in that case, it'll be difficult for both chin and owner. I actually visited a vet that is very renowned for his work on rabbit teeth (a rabbit dentist they call him) here in San Diego. He seems to have a lot of experience with chins as well so I'm not sure why.

I have no experience with chin teeth issues but I have your little man in my thoughts! Sending positive healing energies your way! Keep us posted :)

When my chin had his first filing he did drool a little after but that could also be a sign that he is in pain. Is he pawing at his mouth? Did the vet give you pain meds? If your chin continues to drool then you need to get xrays right away as that could mean the roots of his teeth are elongated.

I would recommend a little bit of organic canned pumpkin and not apple juice. Your chin does not need the added sugar that is in juice, even if it's just a little bit. You can also use a baby wipe or a moist towel to clean the fur on his chest and then completely dry him up and then offer a dust bath. You may need to do this for a few days until his fur gets back to normal. Good luck with your baby.

I am afraid that you need xrays to know what is happening with the tooth roots - just looking in the mouth does not show the full story.
I would be insisting on xrays.

Some chins do drool after having burring done -because the bits is altered - & it takes a little while for the chin to get used to how their mouth feels now. Also their mouths can be a little sore from being pulled around.

Is he on pain relief?

Yes he is given pain relief. After giving him metacam he is more willing to eat. However his poop are still tiny from lack of eating. I tried giving him mashed mature mixed with pumpkin but he will only take a few bites. I weighed his food bowl and it seems like he isn't eating. He already lost weight when weighed at the vets so he needs to eat. But how do I get him too. I searched and people said baby food or mashed banana mixed with mashed mazuri. Is that a good idea? I'm notbsure if he isn't eating from lack of appetite or pain. I left mashed mazuri in the cage but haven't caught him eating.

He may eat the CC more willingly. Will you be receiving it soon? Usually my chins eat the CC by itself, but if I have a picky eater the CC mixed with pumpkin and the syringe dipped in simethicone seems to do the trick. Otherwise you have to burrito and force feed. Once you get them wrapped, squirt small amounts of the mixture in the sides of their mouth, behind their incisors.

I agree with Claire about the x-rays.

Chins can drool a couple of days after a full mouoth filing. IMO he should not have drool if he only had incisor problems and a trim on the incisors. I will go with my original post that this is genetic malo and it involves the molars contrary to what the vet says. I would seek a second opinion that includes x-rays since he is such a young animal and you need the full story.

Back