teeth chattering?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BaxterJoy

My chinchilla has been chattering his teeth quite a bit lately. Usually when I'm in front of his cage. I've read various things about it. Some sources say it's a warning before they bite, but every time he does it, there doesn't seem to be anything that is upsetting him. I've tested that theory by, once he stops, scratching behind his ears and he enjoys it as usual. Other things I've read say that it's associated with "rearing up". I stil have yet to know exactly what that means in relation to why they do it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

There are a couple of teeth noises that chins commonly make. Teeth chattering is where they click their teeth together, and is usually an angry warning noise. Think of it as a chinchilla's way of seeing "Check out these teeth, and think how much damage I will do if you don't back off!" The rearing up thing is when they stand up on their hind legs, when angry or frightened. This is to make them look bigger and more intimidating and, with females, is usually followed by spraying (projectile peeing).

Teeth grinding is also a common sound, and happens when they grind their back molars together (as the name suggests). This seems to be a happy noise. Many of mine grind their teeth after treats or scritches.

Since you are not seeing aggressive angry behavior, maybe what you heard was grinding, not chattering. Otherwise, if you are sure it's teeth chattering, then maybe he is feeling nervous when you are standing in front of the cage, and when you reach in to scratch him he realizes it's ok. I would be careful to avoid quick or jerky movements when you are near his cage, so as not to startle him.

Considering that you have 20 chinchillas, I'm gonna go ahead and say that you know what you're talking about:bowdown:
Perhaps it is grinding, but I think I've heard him do that before... So maybe I should just keep up the love or leave him alone ;) thanks!

LOL Thank you! Though there are people here who have many more than me and lots more experience.

Just be patient and gentle with him, if he is nervous he'll come around. It is well worth the effort when a chinchilla bonds with you and trusts you.

I really am trying. I feel good about how we've done so far with him. He really didn't like people in general when we first got him and I feel like he's come miles in just a month. Because we love him so much, it's tempting to get another one :) Just out of curiosity, which wheel do your chinchillas like best that doesn't take up TONS of room? We're trying to decide on one, and I'm trying to get all the input I can. No worries, we've never even come close to a crappy plastic one!

Bobo is my chin who chatters her teeth at me all the time. I annoy her LOL! She doesn't like anyone in front of her cage. She barks or sasses which is what I call the teeth chattering, whenever someone walks by. It doesn't matter if you're talking to her, it doesn't matter if you're trying to pet her. She just doesn't like anyone by her cage. In face she is a demoness in the cage, but once she's out of it she's a nice little girlie!

Ha ha, Laurie! That's how my Lola is! She'll spray you from inside the cage, and doesn't want anyone near it (unless they're giving a treat) etc, but when she's out for playtime, she's just dandy!

that IS hilarious! Thanks for the input - and funny stories :)

Latest posts

Back