Tan question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

I didn't know where to post this, but I figured breeding would be the best place.

I really want a tan, as pet-only. But the tans I have seen doing googling and such they are like a choclate color, which is why I want one.

I finally found a tan, but he is almost like a wierd grey muddly color. I can tell he is a tan, has the light ears and def isn't a normal. Don't get me wrong, he is a cutie, but my question is, he is being sold for $175..and is that a normal price?

Is getting the "Choclate" brown color rare? I also understand there are light, meduim and dark tans, but I figured the dark tans where choclate color.

Breeding color isn't in question since he is pet-only, I am just asking because its a choclate that I want and I don't know if that is unrealistic.

If you are set on getting a dark tan...because that is what the first pictures show, then you may have to wait to find one. It usually takes a couple generations to get the darker tan that you're seeing and it's not easy to find quality dark tans.

The other color is medium tan. To me there isn't a big difference and as pets personality matters more than color, but if you are dead set on a dark tan you will have to wait for one to become available.

Also, a dark tan is NOT a chocolate. A true chocolate is the tan equivalent of an extra dark every hair shiny black ebony. They are so dark chocolate brown that they look black upon first glance. You won't find a chocolate though...no one can seem to get that dark of a brown in their tans, though it has been seen very rarely.

Ahh, okay. Thank you.
I know personality matters most, but its one of those dream chinchillas I have always wanted :)

Thanks for you help!

The amount you pay is whatever the seller asks for and what you are willing to pay. There's no one that can tell you if it's the average or if it's a good amount to pay. That's going to depend on how bad you want the chin. There are some chins I'd love to have, but I'm not paying $400.00 because they have a spot on their left hip. There are other chins I'd willingly pay that amount for. It's going to depend on you.

Is getting the "Choclate" brown color rare?
Yes, to get the level of darkness you are looking for is the equivalent of a solid black ebony. See Tune's comment. As far as a price, the one you posted is on the lower end for a solid tan. Do you have a picture of the one you are looking at?

The difference "a wierd grey muddly color" - is a better color chin that is blue and not yet oxidized. The two pictures you like have very red chins in them and would be torn apart on the table. Those actually look like charbrowns and they don't breed those on this side of the pond.

My little newton is a ligher tan.... I spent $200 to get him, but I wasn't looking specifically for color.

I was told that real chocolates were seen only a few times in years. It is difficult to get a real beautiful healthy dark tan so you are going to pay the price for it. However, I love that color too, so I personally would have no problem paying more to get a good quality one.

Yeah, I thought so that the ones I posted pictures of weren't probably what I was going to get..she gave me more photos (She only gave me one earlier) and the color was a lot more brown in these photos. But he has the personality just like my Casanova which is really what I want.
To me, price is indifferenet with chinchillas, they are expensive creatures, and I have always expected to pay more especially with healthy chinchillas from reputable breeders (You really pay for health and quality) and I have no problem paying for a great chin.

Thank you for all your replies :)

Back