Tan / beige babies??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shahna

New babies born today (48g, 45g, 41g, and 38g). Mom was a Standard e/c and dad was a Tan.

How do I tell a tan kit from a beige kit? Any ideas which is which from the attached pic? There are two that have a darker tail... (Last TOV in the line was the great-great grandmother).

Attachments

• Bella's Babies 8.16.10 w.jpg
    Bella's Babies 8.16.10 w.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71
How do I tell a tan kit from a beige kit?
Wait until they get older and look at the bellies. As light as they are they will fade and darken multiple times before they reach their adult colors.

Personally I would call them all tan, you can't tell without seeing the belly, but to me a beige doesn't have any chance of throwing an eb. I'd rather call it a tan so everyone knows it might.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I looked for the real white belly like other beige kits I have... I'm not seeing it. They are all fairly "dirty"... So I'm most likely looking at all tans.

They will be fun to watch as they grow up.

The two darker ones I would call tan. Check the belly on the last one to see if it's the same color as the body or white. If you're still confused come September, I'll take a look at them for you. ;)

but to me a beige doesn't have any chance of throwing an eb. I'd rather call it a tan so everyone knows it might.
??

If you took it to a show and it had a white belly it would be classified as a beige and compete against beiges regardless of parents. If it throws ebony, write e/c on the card - it's carrying ebony but not showing it.

They are all fairly "dirty"... So I'm most likely looking at all tans.
Not necessarily, the lighter ones tend to clear up. I've gone to pull many light tans for show only to see that they had developed a bright white belly with age. Had the opposite happen too. :))

Congrats on your babies!

From just that overhead shot, two of them look like tans and one looks beige. A lot of times beiges aren't born with the whitest bellies though. Their fur is still thin and you can see all that beige colored underfur. Since there is eb in the lines though, even if they end up with white belies, they would be considered eb/c.

OMG there are my tan babies I have been looking for, please tell me the tans aren't girls????

Yea from the look of it they look like tans. Darker Tans tend not to have as much veiling as a beige when theyre born. Check the bellies if they wrap, theyre tans. if one is lighter, classify it as a beige ebony carrier. A good thing to do since you are breeding is always stating if an animal has ebony in it, even if it does not show ebony. Ebony will wrap the entire coloring, so if someone bought a beige and no one stated that the parents had ebony, the persons breeding intentions may be ruined. They may be breeding for show standards and beiges, and when the kits are born with dirty bellies, they'll be hounded on about that in shows.
So either way, if you are unsure its safe to say beige ebony carriers, until you are certain on color.
But regarding these kits, you will love to see how they grow and change color with age. Take lots of pics so that you can compare what they look like 6 months down the road. In most cases they change, and you arent certain if they get lighter or darker. Be ready for surprises with this litter!! theyre adorable!

Kelley -
Standard e/c is female at 48g.
2 Tan Males (1 may be a beige e/c) at 45g and 41g. ;)
1 Tan Female at 38g.

I'm very excited to see how they change as they get older. Just for fun, I will post updated pics every few months...

Back