Switching foods

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeCurley

I never read about what is the best foods for chinchillas I just bought whatever was on sale at Petco. I've been feeding my 5 yr old chin Charlie brand food or Kaytee on and off now. I've noticed she only picks out the good treats and wastes the rest.... This is becoming financially frustrating.

My question is, if I switch her to Oxbrow (which I read is one of the best) should i not give her any treats for a few days maybe even a week? I want to see if she will eat this food- I'm sure if it's the only thing given she will eventually eat it.
Just to make sure though, should I also not give her any hay?

TIA!

you can switch her to new food such as oxbow and do a cold switch which would mean dumping all the old food out and only using the new food....were she had food with not so healthy stuff in it she can be picky for a little while ...keep plenty of fresh hay for her at all times and if you are giving treats they should only be chin safe treats in moderation like a cheerio, piece of plain shredded wheat, pinch of long cooking oats ( not instant) or rose hip and dont mix the treats in her food bowl or she will pick threw them...

My chin was on the worst junky food I came here asked for advice and did a cold switch and she took to the new food after a day

I wouldn't withhold hay for any reason, but it's not a bad idea not to offer treats while she gets used to the new food.

I would do the cold switch. Give her lots of hay and skip the treats for a while. she may refuse to eat the new food at first. this is normal so don't give in. She will eat when she gets hungry enough and realizes that she is not getting the junk any more. She will not starve herself.

I handed her the new food and she went right for it, took it from my fingers and asked for more. I was so surprised!

I honestly thought it was going to be a struggle because she is so picky, but perhaps Oxbow actually tastes good to them?

Thats good hope she took to the Oxbow. I guess they just love it. Cause i had no problem switching Chico after i rescued her and she came with the junk food.

Back