Super pet Ferret Cage (? and opinions)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

I'm looking for a better cage for a chinchilla that I am taking care of (for a indeterminate amount of time....long story :) ). My money situation is...let's say.....not ideal at this moment in time, but I'd like to do what I can. This is my disclaimer before anyone suggests much better cages that are way out of my price range.

I've got an opportunity to pick up a super pet ferret cage (http://www.petco.com/product/15487/Super-Pet-Multi-Floor-Ferret-Home.aspx) for a decent price. I've never seen this cage before, but it looks like it's a fair size. My major concern is how it will withstand new shelving if i replace the plastic with wood. I usually just get the pine cut to size and add hooks on either end. Has anyone redecorated this sort of cage to be more chinny friendly? Care to share pics? Experiences with this cage are also welcome.

It's a good price, but I don't want to waste my money if I'm just going to hate it in the long run. My chins get enough playtime that sleeping in a small cage during the day isn't the end of the world.

Thanks!

I have put wood shelves in a SuperPet and it worked fine. The only problem I have with the cage is the plastic bottom. It gets chewed but you can mount pine pieces around the inside of the cage to protect it.

you can also wrap the whole plastic base with anti pill fleece to keep a chin from getting to the plastic to chew it.

for that cage's wood shelves, i would get hanger bolts, wing nuts, and washers to secure them to the cage bars, and have at least one shelf going the full length of the cage both front to back and side to side (2 shelves altogether). this will help to stabilize the cage and keep it from shaking when the chin jumps around. other shelves you could make any length/size, but those two full ones would really help with cage stability.

have you taken a look at your local craigslist? quite often you can find cheap used cages on there that may be both bigger and better than the superpet one, and for less money.

Craigslist is where I found this one and I think I can get it for less then $40. I've been stalking CL for cages for a while now, and the good ones have been either too expensive or snatched up quickly :(. This cage won't be permanent I think, but better then the 30 x 18 x 20 he's in now. He has no room for a wheel and truth be told, he needs it! :D

Here is a picture of my old superpet cage. I cant find any shots straight on but this shows the shelves.

June019.jpg

It is similar to the one you listed and it works. I secured the corners with J clamps and then put some shelves in with hanger bolts. Make sure you don't fasten the top on before putting your shelves in or you'll have to flip the cage upside down to put them in. I also had a hard time maneuvering the shelves and getting them straight by myself so I suggest having a friend help you.

I ended up selling the cage and getting a ferret nation. I was tired of squeezing my arm through the small doors to clean the cage.

oh! if you need any help with cage layout inspiration - contact BooBoo*TheKiddo* on here, i believe she has the same cage for one of her chins and has photos (can't recall if i saw them on this forum or another that me and her belong to) of the way she set it up.

not sure if the cage wires would be strong enough for a wheel or if they would snap. the way the wheel is attached in Leah's photo there shows a good way to do it - make sure each attachment point is near the vertical bars to ensure strength.

I'm really glad to see this thread...I have the opportunity to get one of these cages for free. Of course, it needs alot of help before it will be an appropriate home for my chins. I'm happy to see that it can become a nice little space for the furballs-if only temporary, it beats the cage they are in right now. :)

Maybe it's only me, but I didn't like this cage at all. Chichi came with it and I never did replace the plastic shelves with wooden (got a FN), I found it to be weak. One of the bars snapped at the end and she was able to escape. It seemed like it was going to fall apart. It could have been because it was mishandled by the other owners, but she said it only a month old!

Thanks for your opinion folks. I decided not to get this one since it's really not as big as I would like. Think I'm going to try to sell off my extra cages and save up for better one. Anyone want to part with a duplex ferret nation? ;)

I sold off my other cages to buy a FN because I wasn't happy with the cage I currently was using. Best idea ever. I've got more yet to sell so she's going to be one spoiled chin!

Cheap Fn's come up quite often on CL, you just have to be quick. I've gotten a couple for $50 and yesterday I picked one up for $65.

Good luck!

craiglist will become your best friend for cages, i got mine from there as well. $125 but it was only used for a month, and its kinda rare to see ferret nations around my area so i wasnt gonna complain about the price.

Ya I had to stalk CL for a few months before one came up that hadn't already been sold by the time I emailed the person. Finally have one though and it was well worth the wait! I have that superpet cage too by the way and it rattles a lot with the chinspin in it. I can't wait to replace that one as well.

i have a superpet cage for my rats until we are able to get a critter nation, and we have a plastic wheel in there for them and it rattles the cage all the time.. it'd hate to see how much it rattles when a chin spin is in there lol.

Took me 6 months to find an FN142 that was all rusted but finally did and well worth the wait!

I also had the Super pets ferret cage and it worked ok but was so hard to clean! I hated it.

You will find the perfect cage, just look on CL everyday :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking. Found one for $150...wish it was payday! Oh well. Guess I'll have to be patient.

if you do find one on CL, you can ask if they'll hold it til payday. i do that all the time. some people are nice and will hold it others will say they can't. majority of the time though they tell me they'll hold it.

I had that cage but the doors didn't close very securly and I had to add extra clips to all of them (there are a number of doors) and it was hard to clean. Now i't folded up in the bastemtn as an emergancy back up cage. Good move skipping it.

Back