Suggestions for more efficient way to prepare wood.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

As I was sitting on a bench on my front porch of my beach house early this morning, listening to the roar of the surf and cutting branches to small pieces I wondered if there is a more efficient way of preparing branches. I need suggestions from start to finish on how they get their branches from the tree to ready to give to their chins. What kind of tools do you recommend for cutting branches? Do you use regular or electric pruners? Is there an easier way to strip the leaves besides one at a time?
:

Leaves-hold top of branch with one hand firmly grasp with the other hand and run it down towards the bottom.. Strips the entire branch in one motion

Tools, I use good large branch clippers for quarter sized stuf...
Hand pruners for the twigs
And I use a miter saw(chop saw) for things like perches ad coins (I loveee my miter saw)

In terms of the rest basically there's no way around the wash boil bake/wash bake process lol
Tho I have always wondered if it would be possible to build a wood burning stove outside with a chamber on top for wood drying :neener:

Well, other than the leaves part, the way that they grow out of the branches on the end of short, sharp little twigs makes it difficult to strip them by hand.

I was thinking that I should do the same thing Jenn. Problem is that this Apple tree is in Westport and as you know that our beach house is just a few hundred yards back from the Pacific Ocean. So pruning here in the winter can be very wet and windy.

I find it easier to wash the stick before you cut it, that way you don't have to pick up each individual cut twig to scrub.

It would be easier except that I had to transport all the sticks from the ocean to Seattle area and there isn't enough room in my SUV for them uncut.

I find the wood is sweeter in the winter when the bark is packed full of nutrients. Gravenstein apple trees being the best. Razor sharp hand pruners to trim and no fear of raw fingers and blisters from scrubbing, boiling, cutting and baking. A good pair of wool socks for the pacific northwest winters is also recommended. :))

Good advice. I will keep that in mind. As for the wool sock, naw, to itchy. I have an great pair of steel toed, black and pink Muck boots that I wear to the barn that keep my toes nice and warm, and protected when the horses accidentally step on my toes.

We really can't complain about the cold here in the NW. It stays pretty mild most of the year compared to other areas. There is always the opportunity to get out and get the wood, and later February isn't usually too bad. It's worth it so we can spoil our chins!

Back