Stroke or Seizure

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No; not in a hedgehog.

I've seen a guinea pig seize right before death and the aftermath of a stroke in a cat (stroke occurred minutes to ~3 hours before I happened upon said cat). Not sure if the description helps, but the piggie went flat - her eyeballs seemed to sink in and she was shaking/trembling. The cat was on his side, drooling, had a poop half in and half out of his anus, and he was trying to get up, but succeeding only in very slowly and effortfully swimming/moving in a circle.

Having said that, I really hope Thistle is okay. I've been rooting for her.

My hedgehog Isabella started to seize after her first litter. It was due to low calcium if I remember correctly. I started feeding her more Royal Canin Babycat34 and she was fine after that. As for a description, I'll try to explain the best I can. She would be walking or standing there, then her legs would stretch out, sometimes they would lift up and be stiff, she wouldn't be able to use them, she'd start shaking really bad, her visor would go down then like half back up and keep doing it repeatedly, she would fall over, then try to walk and would drag herself, then as soon as it happened, it was over, she'd start walking around and playing like normal. I almost had a heartattack when I saw her do it, I panicked and started calling everyone I had numbers for until someone answered, I was IMing everyone I thought could help, and trying to calm down. I was squalling, it was late at night and I didn't have a ride. Luckily a few other hedgehog breeders told me what to do and all the vets I talked to had told me the same thing. She's doing great now, will be 2 years old 5/29. Pudgy as can be but still the sweetest hedgehog I've ever had!

She's the only hedgehog I've ever had do it, but I have seen it in a few rabbits over the years as well. The one that did it first was a Netherland Dwarf doe, was a cute lil thing! She would be standing there, then she'd fall over and start shaking and stretch out, would go stiff, and her eyes would squeeze close, mouth and nose would twist, and a minute later she'd be up and running around like normal. She would seize almost everyday, I gave her to a friend and she took her to the vet to see what they could do, turned out to be a tumor if I remember correctly(this was back in 2006, can't really remember that well).

I hope that helps!

Back