Strange eating behavior and a question about eyes...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shieldmaidenjen

Hi all,

Out of six chinchillas, one has always been... strange with his pellet food. I say "strange" because I cannot think of a better word. He's an adult male that I bought at Petsmart back in 2009ish. Ever since I got him, he's pulled shenanigans with his food pellets. He is just *messy*!

From day numero uno, Velvet has taken to shredding the food pellets I give him. He seems to grab a pellet, eat some of it, and then discard the rest of the pellet. Rise and repeat. There is always a pile of "pellet dust" for lack of a better word by his bowl. He eats his hay normally.

Does anyone else have a chin who does this?

Velvet has always been a little quirky; he's like my little "different" chin. He leisurely kangaroo-hops around during playtime while the others go berserk running and bouncing.

My other question involves Velvet's eyes. The fur around them is often matted and scruffy. His eyes don't *look* watery to me so I am not sure what is causing it. I'm going to check his teeth again but I think they are fine. I do not know if bedding can affect a chin's eyes in such a way; I changed the chins to fleece liners last week for the first time but had been using Carefresh for years. His eyes are not bulging so I don't think it would be tumors.

He doesn't scratch at his eyes or act irritated by them but I know something is up. They aren't red or swollen... but there is definitely some discharge coming out to make his fur matted.

Any comments or advice?

*going to check his teeth right now*

EDIT: I am thinking we have a tooth problem. Off to the vet with Velvet on Monday!!

Last edited:
Some chinchillas will eat the part of the pellet that sticks out of their little paw and discard the rest. That's just the way some of them eat. That being said, if you combine that and the eye problem, we have a BIG red flag. I would take him to the vet for a full oral exam (under gas) and xrays. There is nothing you can do at home to tell whether or not he has dental issues. The reason the eye problem can be a symptom of dental issues is that the roots can grow upwards and block the tear ducts. Please get him checked. He could be in a lot of pain.

Hi! I can't believe it's been a month and I haven't been on here. ><

Velvet's teeth are fine (I guess he's just my messy eater). The vet suspected he had an upper respiratory infection or allergies; he was put on some meds for 10 days and is now doing better than ever as he has perked up quite a bit. I still wipe his eyes but he's peachy!

Here he is watching TV from a perch:

ojdp1e.jpg

EDIT: Yes, he does look disgruntled in that picture - he was like, "I'm watching Disney Channel here; take the camera away already!"

Back