Storing in Drawers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I'm trying to think of a smart way to store everything neatly (pellets, hay, fleece, dust, and wood shavings) and I thought that a 5-drawer sterilite tower might do the trick. Is there any way that the pellets, hay, and shavings need to be stored?
I heard that hay should breathe to prevent molding, so I was thinking of drilling holes into the drawer and placing the hay into a cotton lining, and maybe the same for the shavings. But is there a way that I can store the pellets in the plastic drawers as well? Can I just dump them into a drawer or do they need to be kept in their packaging? Or is it OK if I stick them into air tight ziplocs?

This is the tower I was thinking of using: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Wide-Tower-Black/20699661

I don't think those drawers would be air tight so I wouldn't worry about drilling holes. If you did drill I' put it in the back. For sawdust, I think most are compacted in the bag so I dont think unpacking it into the drawer would work well.

Yeah, I thought of that this morning. I'll probably stick it in with the hay though (in a container).

I have 50lb bags so that wouldn't work for me. I keep my hedgehog and chin/rabbit food in large rubbermaid containers stacked. I have a drawer system for extra fleece and fabric items, a drawer on it for extra food dishes and water containers, and then a second empty drawer system where we put each hedgehog in a drawer with some fleece as we clean their cage.

I was thinking about using the rubbermaids, but I don't think I'd ever use close to 50lbs for 2-3 chinchillas and I don't think I have the space for multiple tubs.

Back